No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass crown jar, RD 183953, Alfred Edmund Edwardes, 14 February 1865.  (Read 20471 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks again for clarifying that point , I was getting a bit confused....sorry  ;)
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
I've been doing lots  of searching on the internet to try to find an exact copy in either metal or ceramics but I've drawn a blank . I have found a lot of crown and cushions made from brick though ....which also sell beer  ;)

The metal inkwell above was the closest I got , but the design is clearly different and the crown lid- section lifts off at a different position. It's probably a case of what happens when the three year protection runs out, more than anything else !

I did find this old ebay listing though which shows some good photos taken from different angles where you can see the detail quite well. The seller seems to have the same idea that it is a Queen Victoria Jubilee piece .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGA-RARE-QUEEN-VICTORIA-JUBILEE-CROWN-TRINKET-BOX-URANIUM-VASELINE-GLASS-/151083576295?nma=true&si=Tr2k6q%252Be2UKcnzHuNYJxJnFd3bQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
obviously some kite flying from that seller - Victoria celebrated two Jubilees, so I suppose we might take our pick since no suggestion of which one was being indicated - although neither of them (1887 and 1897) agrees with the lozenge date of 1865..             The seller appears not to have  deciphered the details of the diamond.

Lustrousstone will know far better than me, but I'd suggest this pale minty green is uncommon, and might on its own have suggested a specific source  -  I've just ploughed through two volumes of Barrie Skelcher's uranium glass and this shade of green does seem scarce.        Might this be a type of green more akin to c. 1900?  -  it's obviously nothing like those lurid lemony crowns that probably are earlier. 

Have just realized that nowhere in the original thread (where the Edwardes crown was referred to) or in this one, was there any reference to Barrie Skelcher's volumes.
This author does show one of the lemony coloured uranium examples - again missing its top cross - and apparently bought it in Oz from a dealer who said he'd acquired it in Jamaica 'where he used to live' ;D - so a very well traveled crown.
Skelcher comments ... "Oddly the design is registered under glass, but this mark is for metal!" 
I'm not entirely sure what he means by this........perhaps he'd checked both the Register and Representations books and found this entry in both.

Like most of us, Barrie Skelcher suggests this was made to commemorate some Royal event, but says "but I have not been able to identify any of that date". 

Heartwarming perhaps for those who have bought one cheaply ...........  Skelcher adds..."Value, if undamaged, $110 - $145 ;)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
That's interesting ! Tony found a milk blue one in New Zealand and now one  in Jamaica ...perhaps they were sold all over the Commonwealth for both Jubilees ...I still think the original design was intended for the Silver Jubilee though. The moulds could easily have been shelved (or sold on)  for a   period of ten years between Jubilees  ;)    'Mega_Rare' if intact , perhaps !!

The weak point is the cross at the top (goes without saying) . The glass is so heavy that it must have snapped off at the top, if picked up by the cross: some of the damage (to three of the examples ,including Tony's) is at the base of the lid when it ,presumably,  fell !!
Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
The pale green uranium is very unusual, assuming that really is uranium, but I would say the date was still c 1865. You only have to look at the colours of PC's hyacinth vases of that sort of date

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
It looks similar in colour to item number 10, here, (a footed bowl?) , if you scroll down , and described as 'alabaster' . 

http://uranglass.gooside.com/kantei/color.htm

Mike

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I'm not saying that crown isn't uranium glass or that that pale green isn't an option for uranium glass, rather that it may not be. About a third of uranium glass listings aren't, so I am always sceptical if there is no photographic or visual (to my trained eyes) proof or mention of a UV light test.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Yes, I understood that, just thought the footed bowl (if that is what it is), and this unusual colour might give a clue (as Paul suggested) , did Baccarat (say) produce the colour in c1865 ? If not then which other pressed glass makers produced items in this colour at that time ?
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Here is a very interesting website showing a large collection of pressed glass .

It mentions here that the words 'Baccarat' and 'Deposee' were impressed on pressed glass from the 1870's . Not sure if the ebay example, mentioned in one if the threads above, also had the word 'deposee' though. But I think it had the diamond mark so no need to add the word deposee perhaps.

http://www.pressglas.de/English_Homepage/Texts/About_Baccarat/about_baccarat.html
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand