No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art glass candleholders and a matching small dish - ID = Seguso  (Read 5939 times)

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
Re: Art glass candleholders and a matching small dish
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 07:25:56 PM »
Javier is a moderator on the Murano board here  ;D

Gosh, since I didn't know that I sent another email with GMB in the topic.  Maybe he will reply to this post.
My fingers are still crossed!  ;D
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 10:24:55 PM »
Darn, finally something I could have helped with, and I'm too late! These pieces are in my Archimede Suguso book.
Shannon

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:38:38 PM »
Oh my, they are really by him!   :o  I'm sitting down...is there a book value on them?  And if it says a year that would be fab!  I'm so excited! :hiclp:  Thank you, thank you!!

Janice
Janice, Deco Queen

Offline shandiane78

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »
The candle holders in the book are blue, so the value may be different. Book value on those is listed as $200-300 each. Value on the bowl is given as $100-150. Of course, you can't put a lot of stock in book values. But these are very nice pieces, and not very common.
Shannon

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 10:58:44 PM »
Thank you.  I was just curious as I had never seen any of his pieces before.  This way I know they are a really good find and we'll take very special care of them.  Who knows some day I may need to sell them to buy gas!

Janice
Janice, Deco Queen

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 06:29:20 AM »
Well it's about $9 a US gallon here in the UK...

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
Thanks, everyone.   Nowadays it's not often I learn so much about glass in one go!

Opaline — Unless quoting an authoritative source I've always avoided the term as I have never been quite sure what it is.   Also I always ensured that an eBay listing involving anything that could be opaline included the word as a keyword.   Now I understand it, if I am correct, to be synonymous with alabaster / alabastro.   Or has it a wider meaning?   Thanks, Ivo.

Alabaster — Previously I was only aware of the S&W and Steuben production of this beautiful glass, although I had not intended my reply above to indicate that I thought that it was made exclusively by these two factories.   Now I know of three manufacturers, with the possibility of others.    Is the term alabaster reserved for this white plus one other colour combination of opaline glass, or has it been used for single colour pieces?

... and congratulations, Janice, on your lovely glass.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Art glass candleholders and a matching small dish - ID = Seguso
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »
Just an addition to this thread although I know it is very old and the information is probably updated now.

According to the Stevens and Williams book The Crystal Years (R.S. Williams-Thomas) Stevens and Williams Alabaster (quoted in his reference on page 24, with the start of the word alabaster in lower case, although the title of the chapter is Art Alabaster with capital letters) was made in single colours as well.  He shows what looks like a green candlestick and also a blue bowl in single colours.  He says 'The articles were often designed in two colours, the body of the specimen being coloured, but all appendages such as handles, knobs and feet were of white or cream alabaster.'
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand