No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old English with etched mark  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: Old English with etched mark
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 07:23:13 AM »
Hi Frank

From the picture of the weight it doesn't look as if the "Made in England" was part of any other marking but a discrete etching - so given that it was time(money) consuming to add it, this would point to a date for the weight somewhere between 1921 and 1933/4

Best regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 11:26:43 AM »
Hi Derek

I don't think the mark on the base points to that date range necessarily.  The piece may well have come via Canada - where there seems to have been a long running requirement to mark all imported Whitefriars pieces (see earlier comments in this thread).  Some of the canes in my weight match ones found in a couple of Whitefriars EIIR 1953 weights - though the canes could have hung around on the shelf for some time, I accept.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Layna

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »
white friars canes are still being used today by a glassblower called ray annenberg he worked at the factory up untill it closed in 1980

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »
Hi Layna

Here is a Ray Annenberg weight I own!

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 07:54:57 PM »
Hi all

I think we have all been put off the scent by the talk of the McKinley tariff act as that was a US act NOT a Canadian one !

Given that Canada was and remains a member of the Commonwealth I would be surprised if UK glass product was shipped to the US and then re-expored to Canada. It would surely have been exported direct.

There is little enough information available about the US Mc Kinley tariff Act but I can find nothing about similar import trade restriction acts in Canada.

By the early 1950's Whitefriars weights were generally very tidy - the etched one referred to here is far from tidy so I agree with Alan that if its a Whitefriars then it is no later than 1950/2.  Latest date if the weight is a Walsh Walsh is the same as they closed in 1951.

Best regards

Derek

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 08:07:22 PM »

The sequence of events that I had imagined was that the weight was exported to Canada as a new item in the early 1950s (thus requiring a Made in England mark in line with Layna's first comment), and subsequently found its way to the USA (from where it is now being sold).

Alan

Offline Layna

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
hi Alan i also own a ray annenberg weight just cant put a picture on yet was given to me pat hogan well we done a  swap as i had a vase he liked (pat hogan is the grandson of james hogan who worked at whitefriars in 30/40s) i think they are really nice well made weights i collect mainly strathearn and vasart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand