No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cloisonné mystery  (Read 3898 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Cloisonné mystery
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
To my knowledge (which is open to change in the light of any evidence emerging) the ranges produced by Dartington studio were very well-defined rather than anything "experimental going along those lines", m -

(And I know you would not confuse or conflate this Cloissonne-like piece for a bit of Alchemy - I can see your reasoning!).

I was paying a lot of attention to the Studio stuff at the time - what I gathered from the staff was that they were producing each range (possibly just one range at a time) for a fairly short period of time. I had 2 Alchemy pieces, then I saw one of the gold foiled Italianate pieces but when I wanted to buy one I had to get it specially made for me, Alchemy was no longer available by them (I'd have liked more) and I was told the next things they would be doing would be the swirled and frilly ruby (using real gold) stuff...... I have no interest in frilly, but kept an eye open for anything that might follw that. Nothing did.

The cased Cloissonne-type plates and vases were issued around the same time, I think, as the Alchemy.

I found both of these designs in the same (luxury new goods) shop at the same time.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »
The subject of the thread is well made and unlikely to be a one-off. The technique can be described as traditional so I would think in terms of Artisan not Artist.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »
thank you both.  I get that  :sun:  I have a small correction to make on my post above just for future reference as info on Dartington seems quite convoluted and I don't want to add to it.  Rachael Woodman and Neil Wilkin both worked at Dartington Crystal according to the book Contemporary British Glass  produced by the Crafts Council.  It says Neil worked at an independent studio within the museum complex.  It says Rachael was a designer for Dartington Crystal.

My only other thought then on this vase is could it have been made by Kralik?  They made crackle, cased, uncased (open) and in 'variegated' colours.  The size fits I think as I believe they did make some large pieces.  The pontil mark looks odd though.  However, I have had a quick search but can't find a reference...as I said, just a possible theory?

m                                                                                                    

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 09:34:59 PM »

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 12:13:17 AM »
Good link and yes same technique, but a world away in execution, so still no certainty... but at least Kralik and probably all Bohemia are definitely off the hook  ;D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 12:21:03 AM »
Just had a hunch,,, while not letting WMF off the hook, but date-wise I am thinking 70s 90s and country-wiise France...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand