No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: True GLOW IN THE DARK GLASS (even without a UV light!)  (Read 7636 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: True GLOW IN THE DARK GLASS (even without a UV light!)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 06:37:59 AM »
Thanks Dave  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 09:50:04 AM »
This sentence from the Wiki link above is puzzling:
Strontium aluminate phosphor is fired at about 1250 °C. Subjecting it to temperatures above 1090 °C is likely to cause loss of its phosphorescent properties.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »
A lot of Wikipedia entries are not only puzzling, they're outright wrong. Best taken with a grain of salt and viewed as opinions, not facts.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »
The conversion to Fahrenheit is 1994 degrees, and if it was put on close to the end of the process, after the last time it had been to the glory hole, The temp might have been kept under that level.  and yes, Wiki could also be off by a few degrees. 

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »
Very nifty!  It can only be charged with UV?  I would have thought visible light would charge it, too, since it's used in other glow-in-the-dark things, such as toys.

ps  The first plural form listed for octopus in my Encarta dictionary is octopuses.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 06:36:09 PM »
Most light has a UV content, except LED bulbs where it is filtered out to add the non-fading characteristic to their marketting. UV Leds are also available.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 06:48:35 PM »
All the more reason it should be able to be charged with normal light, I would think.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 07:38:28 PM »
Oh, sure, sunlight will 'charge' it up too, but a blacklight is just sooooo much quicker. 

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »
The "correct" plural of octopus is octopodes - it being originally a Greek word, and all that.  Noone ever uses it, of course...

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 02:07:07 AM »
Ah, I see...I thought you had to use a UV light to charge it.

I think I understand the confusion about it being phosphorus that makes it glow.  Turns out compounds that are phosphorescent are called phosphors, but that doesn't mean they have phosphorus in them - the words come from the same Greek words for "light" and "bearer," but phosphorus doesn't actually phosphoresce, it exhibits chemiluminescence - the light comes from a chemical reaction.  Phosphors emit light in sort of a delayed reaction of 3 excited electrons moving back into their normal state.  Fluorescents also emit light after being excited by UV light, but in this case 2 electrons are excited differently, and shoot their wad much more quickly.

Such is my understanding from a few Wikipedia articles, anyway.

Wiktionary:
"Fowler’s Modern English Usage states that 'the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses', and that octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic. Octopi derives from the mistaken notion that octopus is Latin, which it is not. Rather, it is Latinized Greek, from oktōpous (ὀκτώπους), masculine gender, whose plural is oktōpodes (ὀκτώποδες). ...

That said, Merriam-Webster and other dictionaries accept octopi as a plural form. The Oxford English Dictionary lists octopuses, octopi, and octopodes (the order reflecting decreasing frequency of use), stating that the last form is rare. The term octopod (either plural octopods and octopodes can be found) is taken from the taxonomic order Octopoda but has no classical equivalent. The collective form octopus is usually reserved for animals consumed for food."

Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand