No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jadite glass swan  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 06:01:14 PM »
Is it possible that this swan was made by Steuben? Both types of glass were made by them.

Perhaps it doesn't have the quality of Steuben. :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Connie

Jadite glass swan
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2005, 10:36:05 AM »
I suspect this is Italian but I sure someone will shoot me down if I am wrong  :lol:

The style does not look like Steuben and I can't judge the quality from the photo.  But I do know that some companies in Italy made the rose and alabaster pieces which mimic Steuben's color combinations.  I see no reason they would not also make the jade and alabaster combo.  I think these pieces might also be from that historical reproduction era.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2005, 11:17:04 AM »
:D  :oops:  :D
I have to confess, I don't think it has the quality of Steuben either!
I suspect that as you cannot find colours inside the opaline glass, that it is just of poor quality. There's something not quite wonderful about the shape of the swan's head and beak and I'm not convinced of the artistic merits of the modelling in general. (JMHO)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2005, 11:34:55 AM »
Quote from: "grayhorse"
I suspect this is Italian but I sure someone will shoot me down if I am wrong  :lol:

KABOOM! only joking :D  In fact, you're spot on. I think the piece is by Nason - at least I have several Nason pieces in the same green opaline colour

http://tinypic.com/av0g3d.jpg

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2005, 08:22:16 PM »
I've been looking at all the 800 swans on ebay. It's like looking for a needle in 2 heystacks without knowing which one it's in.

It's a shame there isn't an Emoticon for "Completely Shattered".  :lol:

Generally, the swans on Ebay have their heads blown in one piece. My swan on the other hand, has it's head attached to the neck, and the eyes attached to the face.

Also, my base is cut flat and a round concave pontil has been ground out.

I also had a tiny elephant in this jade colour and another in this opalecent style colour.

The jade coloured elephant had a sharp pontil, and the opalecent style elephant had no pontil, but was hand carved.  :?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 08:06:29 PM »

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 11:24:41 AM »
The Jadite green bit shines under UV so I think a uranium colourent was used. Does this make it Uranium glass?

So it could be Jade/Alabaster, Uranium/vaseline and Opaline-ish.  :lol:

There's one on ebay at the moment so i'm keeping my eye on it just in case it goes cheap (sorry).  :lol:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 12:31:54 PM »
If it only glows a bit, then it doesn't contain uranium. Even a little uranium has a bright glow

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 02:23:21 PM »
There's an interesting article here on uranium glass.
http://www.glassassociation.org.uk/Journal/uranium.htm

The glow would be stronger but I only have a dinky torch. Also, bare in mind that the jade coloured glass is almost opaque.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Jadite glass swan
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 03:26:45 PM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"

I also have another unsigned piece.

http://tinypic.com/anyp02.jpg

This wavy pattern seems very common with Mdina. I don't now about the shapes of them though.

Hi Tigger :P   The one on the right is definitely Mdina. I had an identical one in the past signed. 8)
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand