No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso vase  (Read 13022 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Seguso vase
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 08:30:12 PM »
You are so right. Turning the letters around makes a big difference (hang head in shame). Seguso AV is Arte Vetro. Isn't this Livio Seguso's company? I am not sure. I hope there are some Seguso family experts out there.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 09:41:56 PM »
I'm amazed that it's so easy for me to see what others suggest I see. I saw the label as VA when obviously it's AV.

According to Gable in Murano Magic, there was in existence an Alberto Seguso & C. Arte Vetro (Seguso AV) owned by Alberto Seguso with Napoleone Martinuzzi as director from 1947-1954. Again according to Gable, Seguso Viro was called just that and owned by Giampolo (son of Archimede) and his two sons, Gianandrea and Gianluca.

Is it possible that the piece is from the early 50's?
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »
Dare I voice my question of the signature again?   :huh:

To be honest, it looked Dremelled to me.  :P

I am not a man

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 06:39:50 AM »
The plastic label probably indicates no earlier than 1980s, particularly as there is no degradation. I think we need Alex to take a look (Art of Venice)

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 08:03:04 PM »
So if I've got this right,

Its 1980's or 50's, my research (Murano Magic) said that A.V. was pre 70's regardless of what label is on there.

The signature is iffy, I presume that means a forgery.

To sum up.

The forged signature points to the 50's, the label points to the 80's
martin

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 09:04:46 PM »
I think you are okay, Martin. Seguso Arte Vetro apparently opened in 1969. I found a line about it at http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/mans-s.htm. I found a few Seguso AV vases online. One of them is being sold on eBay right now if you want to put Seguso AV into the search engine. There is a carefully engraved signature on the lower rim of the vase's wall. I don't put a lot of thought into the signatures of many of the companies. They varied so much from piece to piece -- not talking about companies that had acid marks. I have a feeling, after reading about Livio Seguso, that your vase is not supposed to be clear. I don't know if he designed the vase, but I read that in the 1970's and 80's he ventured away from clear glass. The vase does not look like Livio to me, but I am not familiar with anything other than his sommerso pieces.

Maybe we will stumble upon the vase in our online journeys. Then you can feel more confident about the authenticity of your vase. The earlier company is probably not the AV that made your vase. Murano Magic does not cover many of the companies that formed after the middle part of the century.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 09:16:59 PM »
Soledivo said:
The signature is iffy, I presume that means a forgery.

I was talking openly, but without anything other than a feeling.  It could be perfectly fine.  We need someone to take a look, that's all.  I'll try and get hold of Javier.  :)

I am not a man

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 09:36:30 PM »
Anita, thanks as always,

and Max please don't read my way of talking as being confrontational. It's just the way I am, I appreciate everyones help, I was trying to put it all together to see where we had got with the vase.

I would be perfectly happy if you told be to be more polite now and again, sorry!

"edit"

Probably me Anita, I tried the search "worldwide" and got zero

martin

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »
I would be perfectly happy if you told be to be more polite now and again, sorry!

Uhh?  The thought of it never crossed my mind!  You are perfectly polite and not confrontational at all!  :-*

I am not a man

Offline soledivo

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 12:02:46 PM »
I found the vase you mentioned Anita,
In a way it points a probable answer about the cloudy glass.

But, I now have to say, I can see where Max was coming from.
The signature on the abay vase is neat and uniformed.
Whereas mine is scratchy and slightly out of kilter,

The plot thickens
martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand