No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: REGENCY CUT uranium yellow mug  (Read 2270 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
REGENCY CUT uranium yellow mug
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:06:33 AM »
While looking for the flint glass creamer and sugar in yellow uranium (see my other current post), I came across a photo in NINETEETH CENTURY BRITISH GLASS by Hugh Wakefield, copyright 1961 & 1982, 2nd printing by Faber & Faber.

http://www.vaselineglass.org/regencymug.jpg

In reading the text below the picture, this style was done in 1825, but I also know that uranium glass did not come along for a little over 10-15 years from that date.  The text on pages 60 & 62 talked about how Central Europe was making glass in the Biedermeier style (during the 1820s-1840s).  "By the forties [1840s], however, the potential interest in coloured and opaline glasses, and in their adjuncts of painting and gilding, was becoming irresistible.  Quite suddenly the British manufacturers responded wholeheartedly to the demand for colour and began to make a belated contribution to the international Biedermeier styles.  In this movement one personality stood out before all others, that of Benjamin Richardson, of the Stourbridge firm of W. H., B & J. Richardson, who was later to be referred to as 'the father of the glass trade' [Pottery Gazette 1888 pg. 50].  In an exhibition held in Manchester at the end of the very year in which the excise had been removed, the Richardson display included clear coloured, opaline, layered and painted pieces.  In this the firm was foreshadowing most of the methods of using colour which ewere to occupy a great part of its efforts, and the efforts of other firms, during the few crowded years up to the Great Exhibition of 1851."

".....The culmination of the fashion came with the 1851 Exhibition, at which nearly all of the glass manufacturers of standing were showing some coloured wares.  The OFFICIAL DESCRIPTIVE AND ILLUSTRATED CATALOGUE of the exhibition lists the colors to be found on the stands of three of them -- Davis, Greathead & Green of Stourbridge, Rice Harris, and Bacchus.  The list of Rich Harris is slightly the longest and is given as 'opal, alabaster, turquoise, amber, canary, topaz, chrysoprase, pink, blue, light and dark ruby, black, brown, green, purple, etc.  Most newspaper and magazine critics of the work of the British glassmakers at the various exhibitions around 1850 were inclined to find their coloured glass promising but not yet quite the equal of Bohemian glass.  This would not in any case be surprising, in view of the short period during which the British manufacturers had been seriously concerned with coloured glass.  Some of the colour was used in a manner which was unmistakably British; but often the style of the coloured and opaline work was scarcely distinguishable from that of Bohemia or France."

~~~~~~~~~~
I am just speculating that this REGENCY MUG was most likely made in England, sometime between when uranium colorants were introduced, up to the time period when REGENCY style cutting was phased out for more complicated cuttings.  According to Charles Hajdamach (BRITISH GLASS 1800-1914), the REGENCY period of glass cutting lasted until the 1820s, but the earliest indication of uranium glass being used in Britain was 1837, shown on colour plate #4 in Hajdamach's book (pg. 57), which was part of a suite of glass used by Queen Victoria at her first banquet in the City of London. 

What I am trying to figure out is the approximate time period when my REGENCY cut uranium mug might have been made.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Mr. Vaseline Glass

p.s.  I got the mug at this year's big Antique Glass show in Harrisburg, PA in April, 2008.  The seller told me it was de-acquisitioned from a museum in Michigan that closed in the 1920s.  It still has an acquisition number on the bottom of the mug.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: REGENCY CUT uranium yellow mug
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:22:01 PM »
Hmm, not sure I understand.  According to the references you quote, the Regency style was done by the time uranium glass was started, no?  Seems to me that most Regency is colorless, though I don't really know, don't know much about it.  The cutting motifs of Regency are for the most part pretty simple and widespread, and could have been carried out in different times and places.

What makes you think this is English?  Could you show a photo of the bottom?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 04:25:09 AM »
Here is a composite picture of the underside of the base.  the number you see on the bottom is an old museum acquisition number. 

http://www.vaselineglass.org/regencymugbase.jpg

The text I was quoting was that REGENCY was an early style of cutting, done in England.  That period continued into the period when uranium glass was being made.  The text pointed out that the British companies were trying to play catch-up with the Bohemians, due to the popularity of the Biedermeier-era cuttings and how well they were selling. 

I also have another piece of Regency cut glass, but it is considerably more pale yellow, so it is not an unknown thing to have occurred.  I was thinking that the style of the handle on the mug might date it too.  And, the photo from the book showed a tumbler, made in 1825, that has all the same characteristics of my tall mug.  It has both the mid-section diamond shapes, and the flattened/cut vertical panels around the base.  While the one in the book illustration is clear glass, both pieces appear like they could have been made by the same glass house, or at least by one of the competitors.  Even then, "if it sells, copy it" was something that was done.

here is my other Regency cut piece:
http://www.vaselineglass.org/regencycutbl1.jpg

Dave Peterson

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 05:54:20 AM »
Oooh, that last piece is interesting.  The shape is nothing like you'd get in ABP - you can clearly see that the mold is what created the narrower lower half, and that's too close to a figured mold (tho' it's not) for ABP.

Sorry!  My mind is on ABP at the moment.

Is is colored light yellow, or is that how it's aged?  Is the glow pictured the true color and brightness? 

But back to the mug.  These cut motifs, flutes and sharp diamonds, were very common, and not confined to England.  They were used in Bohemia and France as well.  This is probably not relevant, but Wednesday at an antique shop in I saw a Schneider vase with handles like this, with the bumps at the bottom, very distinctive.  The owner said it was sort of a trademark of theirs.  Although we're talking another time period and maker here, maybe it's a French sort of treatment?  Seems a little flamboyant for English Regency. 

The text I was quoting was that REGENCY was an early style of cutting, done in England.  That period continued into the period when uranium glass was being made.
I was referring to your earlier post,
According to Charles Hajdamach (BRITISH GLASS 1800-1914), the REGENCY period of glass cutting lasted until the 1820s, but the earliest indication of uranium glass being used in Britain was 1837
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »
Kristi:  can you enlighten me on SCHNEIDER?  As I am very narrow focused on my uranium glass collecting, that name has not come up on my radar before.  What time period for manufacture was the vase you saw at the antique show?

the bowl is very distinctive light yellow and I have never seen another piece that color in cut glass.  It came from England from one of our members in this group.  It has been my experience that uranium glass does not 'age' in color from when it was first made, but it has only been around for 160 years, so I don't know what it will do after 500 or more years.  Simple Uranium glass has no colorants in it that are going to make it fade or get darker due to the passage of time, like say, early american clear pattern glass, that will turn purple if left in the sun for years.  And yes, that glowy picture is a true depiction of how it looks under a UV blacklight.  The mug, of course, also glows equally well. 

I also don't rule out anything as being too plain or two flamboyant to define a glass era and country.  I think there is a lot of interesting cutting on that tumbler photo taken from Wakefield's book.  Hajdamach's book also shows some amazing glass from the Regency era.  My first impression when I saw the handle is that it was crudely done and the maker elongated the bottom portion of it, so it would make more contact with the body of the mug, to give it more support.  A lot of handles start with placing the gather at the bottom, then attaching the top portion last.  This piece was attached at the top first, then the bottom was done last. 

As you can see from the photo of the bottom of the mug, the entire bottom is a smooth polished pontil, going clear to the edge. 

Dave Peterson

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »
The handle style has, I believe, quite a long history in Venetian glass.

Here, the handle does look like something of an afterthought, out of proportion and not very practical. I guess you'd have to conclude that it was meant for decorative purposes only. Just a cautionary note that the Chinese (or others) currently recently produced vaseline glass in antique styles. I found the most obvious examples on Ebay Australia.

The cutting style reminds me of this little item which I had put to 1900-30's. Unfortunately it does NOT glow at all under UV light. I'm sorry if this is not helpful or indeed just confuses the issue but you never know how incidental information will be received and where it may lead. Ed.

PS Eventhough I have the photos marked as Moser I have serious doubts that it is by that company.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 03:16:47 PM »
Hotglass:  I would really appreciate it if you could show me any verification that the Chinese have ever made any uranium glass (green or yellow), either vintage or contemporary.  I have seen some yellow glass that was meant to look like uranium glass (Pier 1 sells it), but it does not glow green.  I have never found proof that they have used it as a colorant.  I have found scant examples, but have found a couple, of uranium glass having been made in Japan.  I once saw a uranium green perfume bottle marked MADE IN JAPAN on the bottom, and have also seen a harlequin set of leaf-shaped ashtrays with a Japanese label (several examples, with the same label) and one of them was very close in color to Cambridge, PISTACHIO color, which is a very light green, but not quite yellow-green, uranium glass. 

Mr. Vaseline Glass/Dave Peterson

Offline Hotglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:49:09 PM »
I do not mean to be contentious about the cautionary "Chinese" note. The auction(s) and therefore the "evidence" are long gone I suspect,unless they are still being sold.

It was a couple of years ago that my attention was drawn to an auction for a yellow-green vaseline (advertised as such) cut glass "Victorian" oil lamp in pristine condition. I was initially surprised and delighted to find such an item on offer but then I noticed that the same seller had several others exactly the same along with other items of a more contemporary style which have been identified by several people I know as new and on sale at well known discount stores with their Made in China marked labels or boxes. I didn't buy one of these oil lamps so I can't confirm that they glowed under uv or not.

I do realise that even yellow glass which looks like it's vaseline, even with what look like greenish tinges at the edges, does not always glow as expected. Indeed I recently picked up a large "victorian" candle holder which fits that description and doesn't glow. So maybe you are right and that wherever this stuff is coming from and whenever it was made, maybe it's only non-uv lookalikes. I shall qualify any similar cautions in future.

By the way I know the pistachio colour very well. It's one of my favorite colours and have several examples and would not confuse it with yellow vaseline glass which I also have examples of. Ed.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 05:38:50 PM »
Hotglass:  I saw those lamps too!!  Yea, I did not think they glowed, but were made to look like they did.  the color was 'off' just a tad, IMHO.  They were cut glass too. 

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 12:13:38 AM »
This is an interesting piece, and I'd like to pursue this discussion, but am preparing to go backpacking for 8 days tomorrow and don't have the time (plus am not with my books, a real hindrance).  I look forward to returning to the thread later...maybe the mystery will be solved by then!

Schneider...here's a great Schneider site:  http://www.schneiderglass.com/

Kristi

- Albert Einstein

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand