No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signature cane - or serendipity?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Signature cane - or serendipity?
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:01:55 AM »

This Murano paperweight has a cane which may contain letters (DOC?) - or alternatively it may just be flaws in the glass. Has anyone seen similar canes?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Re: Signature cane - or serendipity?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
It is unknown to me. The other canes in the weight would date it to the late 2nd quarter of 20th century, which may make research problematic due to the passage of time. My suspicion is that it is a happy circumstance. All Italian signature and date canes with which I am familiar are, how shall we say this, "quite obvious, and not subtle". They are "in your face" with the information. And since this one is not of that style, leads me to my conclusion.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:58:33 PM »
Fascinating cane! In one orientation, the "signature" could be assumed to read "Joe" :)

It is certainly not like the usual variety of "C" (always for "Clichy"!) canes which are in reality broken whorls or partial collapses of a circular cane section. I tend to agree that this is some form of "happy circumstance" but I can't work out how the "circumstance" came about!

Perhaps one of us should buy the weight and start a collection of similar things for the purpose of producing an article on "circumstancial signatures". But personally I cant stand the garish colours of many of those earlier Murano canes (even if they may be by Fratelli Toso or other well-known maker) so I would not be too willing to bid on this one. ;D
KevinH

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »
As to how it might have happened: please note the the background between the canes appears black. If the "letters" were nothing more than air bubbles trapped in the cane when it was pulled then the background would show through as well and look black. Many of the canes appear to have black in them or a black center - and I assure you such is not the case. For those cane designs those black areas are clear glass. In other words there may not be black glass forming the letters, but simply a blank space where the background shows through.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 04:50:37 PM »
It would certainly be worth adding this type of information into the book.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand