No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina globe vase  (Read 3952 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Mdina globe vase
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:56:44 AM »
 Just purchase this lovely item and would like some information on the signature, which to me looks like a scrawl. H 15.5cm D 16cm and quite hefty. TIA carol
Carolglass

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Mdina globe vase
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 06:24:24 AM »
Congratulations looks like a Michael Harris signed early Mdina vase.

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 07:35:50 AM »
That's not Michaels signature and he was on the Isle of Wight in 73....very pretty vase...

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
Definately 100% not Michaels signiture   :cry:
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »
Possibly Eric Dobson, Joseph Said or other employee signing on their behalf according to Mark Hill's book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:17:58 AM »
I'm afraid I can't really make the signature out myself. It looks a little like a very stretched out Said, with maybe some extra wiggles, Dobson's signature has been verified and it is vaguely legible, if you know that's what you're looking for.

I've got a couple of pieces with another distinctive signature, and this is not that one.

It's definitely NOT Michael Harris, who was a very accomplished engraver, and his signature is very legible and neat.

This piece is called the Japanese Globe vase, though.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »
Many thanks to the various members for taking the time to share information. Why is it called a Japanese round -to me it looks like a global view of the earth (fancifull idea though). What is the title of the book mentioned? regards carol
Carolglass

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 11:20:04 PM »
Hi Carol,
not sure why its called Japanese, i presume Michael Harris thought it resembled a Japanese
style ? It doesnt give a reason in the book. It does say the pattern was designed for a range
of glass for Rosenthal in the early 70.
And the book, a must for all Mdina collectors is here,
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19158.0.html

Regards
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 11:29:21 AM »
It is only likely to have been from the Rosenthal range if it is very finely blown, rather than a bit chunky.

I love these vases/bottles. I reckon the way the blue is applied is in a manner very similar to the way the wing casings of fish vases are applied, but rather than being made into a lumpy feature, are blended into the body - you can see that each side of the vase has been dipped, and there is the "strap" across the the middle, between the two side casings, as the vase is lifted and turned, to catch the strand that falls.

This one is the first I've seen that is later than Michael Harris, and I'm pretty sure nearly every one I've seen has Michael's signature on it. It's a very accomplished piece. The Boffos were gone by '73, so it is very likely by Joseph or Paul Said, as I believe they were the most accomplished glassmakers there at the time, having been the earliest apprentices.

I have also been told that Paul Said never, ever signed anything.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 08:39:33 PM »
Many thanks to Andy for the book link - another one now added to the "must have" list, also chopin-liszt for such a detailed reply-I agree totally. Have a companion  piece by J O Lake  from Ekinas so now I need a number three!! I will contact the seller and ask if they have any information based on the Joseph Said name. Many thanks again to all the message board members that have shared their opinions and knowledge. regards Carol
Carolglass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand