No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: fait in or en belgique .....  (Read 8029 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: fait in or en belgique .....
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
What about Scailmont?  Have you considered them?

Offline Jay

• Members
    • http://www.hogelandshoeve.be
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 06:01:05 AM »
To the best of my knowledge pressed glass was not made in many factories, and apart from Sklo/Imwald impertinence, ONLY VSL ever used the 'Fait en Belgique' mark into their designs.
If it should come from any other factory then it would be a real breakthrough in our knowledge!
Boom made a little pressed glass before the war, (not bowls as far as we know) but AFAIK it was paper-labelled and never marked.
A French factory may have inherited the moulds from Boom in the 1970's (but it's unlikely they were ever used again).

We've also seen a base plate marked rather strangely 'Fait in Belgique'. Since this isn't correct French (or even Flemish), we assume this is one of the Bohemian imposters but can somebody confirm?!
Dutch and Flemish 20th Century Factory Glass

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 06:16:23 AM »
Scailmont certainly produced pressed glass in this particular colour pink; many pieces are marked "scailmont" but some are marked "Manage in Belgium" - Manage being the location.  Then there were Havré, Boussu, VSL and Zoude who all did pressed glass - and there may have been others as well.

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 07:01:50 AM »
Interesting Ivo,

Scailmont:
I've never seen 'export' marks on Scailmont which were impressed like this. Could you supply an example?
Boussu
I'd understood that they only did mould-blown glass at Boussu. Can you confirm a pressed glass item from this factory? and narrow down the years of production?
Zoude
According to your book the last glass at this location was in the 1870's ?! Have you got new information that could possibly link them with this sort of product? I'm unable to trace any record of them in the 20th century.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 07:14:01 AM »
Boussu may have ended as a mould blower but they certainly did pressed glass at the end of the 19th ct. - and so did Rance, Ghlin, Familleureux and Bougard. I think (from memory) that Pamela has a Scailmont piece on her website with export marks. Zoude of course merged into VSL but they pioneered the technique of glass pressing.

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 07:50:41 AM »
Let's try to reach a conclusion for Tipperary, then.

Surely we all agree that this design must be 1920 or later?! (If it were earlier there would be more possibilities.)
So the final word is 'almost certainly' VSL.

There is a possibility that it's from Scailmont but !IMHO!!!! I'm personally sceptical abouth that. (The items I've had in my hand are mostly quite rough quality and I don't associate them with moulds requiring this much sharp detail, but this is more an aesthetic guess on my part). The pieces I have found are marked 'Verreries de Scailmont-Manage Belgie' or 'Manage - Belgique'

There was no production at Boussu 1910-1960, as far as I can tell.

There MAY be a possibility that this is a Bohemian 'clone' with a mark which is intended to deceive, and we have to wait for Marcus to tell us about that!

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 08:36:09 AM »
There is a possibility that it's from Scailmont but !IMHO!!!! I'm personally sceptical abouth that. (The items I've had in my hand are mostly quite rough quality and I don't associate them with moulds requiring this much sharp detail, but this is more an aesthetic guess on my part). The pieces I have found are marked 'Verreries de Scailmont-Manage Belgie' or 'Manage - Belgique'

I once owned a very detailed piece from Scailmont designed by Charles Catteau - it sold on eBay for £275 and I certainly wouldn't describe it as 'quite rough quality' !!!!

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 08:42:06 AM »
ok Pip, perhaps I'm overstating it...what I really mean to say is that their moulds do not seem as sharp as the other factories mentioned (VSL/Walther/Imwald), but I admit it's an opinion biased by limited experience!

Perhaps they just had good days and bad days? ;-) After all, I do!

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 08:56:18 AM »
ok Pip, perhaps I'm overstating it...what I really mean to say is that their moulds do not seem as sharp as the other factories mentioned (VSL/Walther/Imwald), but I admit it's an opinion biased by limited experience!

Perhaps they just had good days and bad days? ;-) After all, I do!

LOL too true Jay - I have more bad than good days when it comes to ID'ing glass - thank heavens for the GMB.

Offline Jay

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 09:11:28 AM »
And of course Scailmont became part of VSL anyway....so perhaps this is splitting hairs?!

It is thought that most of the Luxval production went there once it became VSL and then it would probably have got this sort of mark.

Correct Ivo?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand