No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian Glass - pressed glass, clear and frosted vases  (Read 3623 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: Bohemian Glass - pressed glass, clear and frosted vases
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 09:30:51 PM »
Interesting pieces.  Judging by the lack of uniformity in the thickness of the glass, they are mold-blown, as you say.  They sort of look like packaging, but it seems like there's not much place to put a lid or a label, so I'm inclined to think they aren't.  It almost looks like the yellowish color was intentional on the non-satin one (I have lots of 19th C Bohemian glass, and none of it is anywhere near that yellow; most isn't yellow at all).  If they came from Romania, they aren't Bohemian.  Interesting examples of old Romanian mold-blown glass.  I'd be surprised (and impressed!) if anyone here could tell you more about them than you already know - I know of no documentation for that sort of thing.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Bohemian Glass - pressed glass, clear and frosted vases
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 08:50:23 AM »
I came across an article that states " old clear bohemian crystal will yellow with time, this yellow can be removed by heating". The one vase has yellowed.
Thanks

Hi, your clear vase isn't crystal - it's glass - your vase is probably intentionally yellow as opposed to having got that way over time.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand