No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stourbridge satin rainbow quilted airtrap? vase  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Stourbridge satin rainbow quilted airtrap? vase
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »
Pleased with this pretty thing, for a few pounds  :D
Its 5 1/2 inches tall , pastel rainbow stripes, diamond quilted pattern, i think its called airtrap?
must be stourbridge ? Webb, S & W ? Victorian. Nice and delicate rim.
Ive found a bowl in Art Glass by John Schuman, page 149, without attribution, but amongst similar
other Stourbridge.
Any one seen pattern /style before, maker maybe?
Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Stourbridge satin rainbow quilted airtrap? vase
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »
Pages 78 / 79 of Manley's Decorative Victorian Glass cover item 183, a 13 inch (33 cm) high vase for which Manley wrote, "The makers of this piece I believe to be Thomas Webb, the date around 1890."

The colours of the one Manley showed and Andy's are, to my eye, just about identical. However, the colours, looking left-to-right, are blue, yellow, pink in the book vase rather than blue, pink, yellow as in Andy's - but that could just be a variation when made or maybe the book image is printed in reverse.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:44:57 AM »
Andy — Gulliver p.179 shows two examples of this vertical colouring on airtrap, one with the three colours reversed on a slightly different diamond airtrap, and the other with the colours as yours on a herringbone airtrap.  Gulliver offers no attribution for these examples, nor (I think) for any airtrap other than Walsh Sateen, backed up documentary evidence discovered by Reynolds in the Sheffield archives after his book was published in 1999.   See here for an example of blue Sateen.

These three could well have been by three different glassworks, not necessarily all English, and not necessarily excluding Walsh.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »
Baldwin in Moser Artistic Glass discusses rainbow glass by Webb and Moser:  "Moser rainbow glass is visually indistinguishable from rainbow glass produced by other manufactureres.  To date, glass fluorescence has been the only positive approach to identifying unsigned examples.  In the case of Webb rainbow glass, all examples tested exhibit a strong green fluorescence typical of uranium in the melt.  This characteristic is not present in Moser rainbow glass."  Blacklight time!

There are a few examples of Webb and Moser rainbow shown in the book, and to me it looks like the colors are a bit more subtle than yours, not quite so vivid... but it's hard to tell, and I don't have Gulliver or Manley for comparison.  I'm not nearly expert enough to know this is actually the case, but I wonder whether the white cased interior wouldn't be denser and more opaque if it were Webb.  One of the Webb pieces shown in Baldwin is cased dense white on the interior.

I've also heard that newer air trap rainbow glass has been done in Italy.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but I sorta suspect this is an example.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
The Italian repros were of thicker glass than this, according to Billings:
http://www.glass.co.nz/rosebowls.htm

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 02:23:06 AM »
According to the same article, "Authentic rainbow pieces, when they do show up on the market, are characterized by very soft muted colors. Reproductions, in contrast, have well defined colors."
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »
Strange, just noticed i didnt reply on this one , or thank anyone.
I was reminded , because i saw a similar rosebowl on ebay , listed as Mt Washington, possibly.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320848777918?clk_rvr_id=316805838680

Im pretty sure mine is a good 19th Century example, i thought i would give it another showing, with a few new photos.
 ;D
Thanks all,
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 04:42:43 PM »
I would not rule out the U.S. when it comes to air trap including the rainbow air trap. Phoenix Art Glass co. of Phillipsburg PA (1880-1894) was a major producer of this type of art glass & employed as the plant superintendent Joseph Webb, son of the Joseph Webb of England in 1883. I happened to have (at one time) one of their rainbow air trap pitchers. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand