No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Studio Glass Bowl Graduated pink Exterior with Graduated white Interior  (Read 650 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hi All,

Would welcome any thoughts on this bowl, suspect its more likely to be a studio produced piece.

Graduate white fading into clear interior. The exterior has a band of yellow defusing into pink which again fades into clear towards the base.  Thick clear glass casing.

The top rim has been folded over and is in streaky black and white colours. Clear glass applied foot with snapped pontil mark.

Some wear to the base, although difficult to date, would suspect possibly 80s to present.

Diameter 17cm / Height 9.3cm

Noticeably heavy for its size weighing 1.4kg.

All thoughts welcome.

Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
That's very nice Greg!  Lovely colours and execution.  Weird that it's not signed.
Gillies Jones came to mind but I'm sure they always sign and I don't know about the pontil mark. (Trying to remember another name of maker ...  Paul Barfield? not sure I've got that right but he made some beautiful bowls and I'm trying to remember if the pontil mark was left like that on the one I had.) edit .. twas Paul Barcroft I was thinking of and I think his pontil marks are polished actually - and he seems to sign :)
That's the only thing that stands out to me .. if it was going to show like that, then why not have it polished (obviously if there are no facilities in the workshop then that's why, but you know what I mean).
But love the way the blower has layered the colours internally and externally.  It works beautifully.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Mike Hunter of Twists Glass can and does do this sort of thing too.
But then, I believe Mike Hunter can do anything. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thank you both for taking a look.

The way the colours have been worked also drew me to the bowl, was also a little surprised about the lack of signature.

I've had a couple of pieces of Gillies Jones before which were both signed and did have snapped pontil marks. Both pieces were fairly thinly blown in comparison. Thanks for the Paul Barcroft suggestion, I'll have a look into his work a little further.

Mike Hunter was one of my first vague thoughts, I'll have to dig a little deeper.

Thank you both.  :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
For no particular reason I thought of Neil Wilkin...

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I have seen unsigned Mike Hunter pieces.
I think we're all agreed it's a really, really good thing.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand