No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "The Waterfall" by Kny, info required please  (Read 5850 times)

Offline citrusheightskid

• Members
"The Waterfall" by Kny, info required please
« on: September 23, 2008, 11:25:39 PM »
Hey guys everyone!

I'm new to the board and I am trying to find some information about a vase.

This vase has been in the family since the 1950's. We've done some homework on it but we can't find much about it.

The vase is called "The Waterfall" and it's either by Fredrick Kny or Ludwig Kny. We found a little bit of information in a book called "From Broad-Glass to Cut Crystal - A History of the Strourbridge Glass Industry" by D.R. Guttery.

The book is vague as far as when it was created and if it's one of a kind. The book refers to another piece called the 'Elgin' Claret Jug by F.E. Kny, 1873

If anyone can provide me some information about "The Waterfall" would be great. I can get some pictures posted if it'll help.

Thanks!!

Erik

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: I have a question!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:49:30 PM »
The Elgin Jug was engraved with a frieze of Greek horsemen by Frederick Englebert Kny and completed in 1873 Exhibited at the Paris International Exhibition 1878. Webb's regarded it as one of his finest pieces.

Image courtesy the Glass-Study.

Offline citrusheightskid

• Members
Re: I have a question!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 01:28:10 AM »
Here's a scan of the Vase that I'm looking to find more information about. This is from the book.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/citrusheightskid/TheWaterfall1.jpg

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: "The Waterfall" by Kny, info required please
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:55:24 AM »
Is that an exact match to your vase?  Could you add a picture of yours please.

Offline citrusheightskid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:44:59 PM »
I'll be taking photos today and posting them.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:54:04 PM »
Can't wait to see the photos!

Looks to me like Ludwig was one of Frederick's sons, and he was chief designer for Stuart (http://www.cambridgeglassfair.com/exhibitions/pastexhibitions/2006-02-stuart.htm).  It's possible the vase with the fish pictured in plate 33 in Guttery is one-of-a-kind, but based on the simplicity of the design probably not likely, I'd say.  Looks like a production cutting to me.  It's a far cry from the Elgin jug...although even that design appears to come in multiples!  Between Guttery and Hadjamach there are 4 photos of Elgin pieces, all based on the Elgin marbles (haven't looked into that yet, but assume they are Roman).  There are two Elgin vases, one engraved by F.E. Kny and one that appears to be etched and engraved by Northwood, the Elgin claret engraved by F.E. Kny, and an Elgin jug etched by Northwood (1862, apparently the first one finished).  All similar but different.

That's all off-topic, but I found it rather interesting.

I'm confused about how you've identified the fish vase as Waterfall.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 05:18:24 AM »
Elgin pieces, all based on the Elgin marbles (haven't looked into that yet, but assume they are Roman).
The Elgin Marbles are in fact Greek, and one of the most contentious issues for UK- Greek international relations. It is long overdue that the Elgin Marbles be returned to Athens, by the British Museum.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 05:35:43 AM »
Thanks, Marcus.  I had a niggling little thought saying they were Greek as soon as I wrote that, but ignored it.  Now I'm curious, I'll have to look into it more.

...Ah, wunnerful Wiki.  I see Byron even wrote a poem denouncing the removal by Elgin:
Dull is the eye that will not weep to see
Thy walls defaced, thy mouldering shrines removed
By British hands, which it had best behoved
To guard those relics ne'er to be restored.
Curst be the hour when from their isle they roved,
And once again thy hapless bosom gored,
And snatch'd thy shrinking gods to northern climes abhorred!

Oh, geez, now I'm really OT.  Sorry, no more about the Elgin stuff, I promise.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 01:28:42 AM »
Thanks for showing photos, Erik.

One thing I note is that the fish shown in the Guttery book (Plate 33) has far fewer spots on the back than the same one on your vase. If I am right about that, it indicates that this vase was most probably a production piece.

It is very well engraved and from memory a Stuart & Son fish vase (different design) that I saw in auction many years ago showed me how the quality of the work was much better than any photo could suggest.

I agree with Kristi's query - on how you have identified this vase as being "The Waterfall". As you say, Guttery's text is a bit vague and as far as I can tell, although the vase is shown in plate 33, there is no text referring to that image. On page 145, the mention of "The Waterfall" (by Frederick Kny) is marked with a footnote stating, "Now in possession of his son, Mr F. Kny of Amblecote." To my mind, that suggests "The Waterfall" vase was indeed a one-off and was probably one of the Rock Crystal pieces which are the main discussion of that section of the book.

The plate 33 image in Guttery's book is annotated, "Pieces designed by Ludwig Kny (son of F. E. Kny)". Whether that means that Ludwig Kny was also the engraver of those fish vases is not clear.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to consult Broadfield House Glass Museum. They may have further information on the Stuart & Sons range of fish vases.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand