No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Royo ? Anyone seen anything like this ?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Royo ? Anyone seen anything like this ?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 10:15:39 PM »
I wouldn't add anymore insult to the forged glass. I've seen a Loetz vase that had a signature scratched out (probably LCT) and it looked so bad. I think sellers should just report the forgery "scratches" like any other damage and hope that the glass doesn't show up on eBay. Really, we can't control what happens to glass after it leaves our hands. We can only hope that things fall -- I mean, land gently -- into honest hands.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 08:56:19 AM »
My opinion is that once a piece of glass has had a fake signature added then it's already been defaced - scoring through the faked signature might make someone think twice about it in the future.  Obviously I have no way of knowing when someone buys something from me that has been honestly described as having a fake signature that they won't relist it saying the signature is genuine.  Personally I'd rather not take the risk - I'm going to continue to score through faked signatures (not that I get lots of things like that mind - in the few years I've been trading I've only had 2 items with faked sigs anyway).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 10:52:23 AM »
Adding scratches could weaken the item, not a significant risk but still a risk. After it falls apart is too late to quantify it  ;)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 11:11:03 AM »
easy come easy go Frank :-)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 11:32:07 AM »
I've got one signed "Daum Prance" - the P being the Peill & Putzler mark....

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 12:24:11 PM »
There's another potential problem with marking out the forgeries on the Royo pieces. Suppose on down the road that we find out that Moser did do some of the pieces and that the sigs are not really forgeries. People -- even the experts -- do make mistakes. So I would let the sigs stay as they are until we get some documented word. The Royo lantern chimneys are signed on the side amonst the enameling. The sig is tiny, so unless one is looking, it is invisible. Scratching it out would deface the glass and make it mighty ugly. I guess one has to make decisions piece by piece.

Anita
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 10:28:39 PM »
A few years ago I had a genuine Loetz Neptun vase with a fake Loetz signature. The only thing I scratched was my head, wondering why someone would do that.  :huh:

Offline Galle

• Members
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 12:35:27 AM »
Then of course there are the numerous pieces of Poschinger stretch glass that have spurious Poschinger (some misspelled Poshinger) signatures scratched haphazardly on the bottom. The theory I think is most likely is that the "signatures" were put there to warn collectors of stretch glass that these are somewhat modern pieces rather than something older and more rare.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand