No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Are these vases the same design?  (Read 5493 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Are these vases the same design?
« on: September 01, 2005, 12:47:20 AM »
One is clear glass http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-429 and the other is amethyst with a clear base http://www.vetrocollections.com/popup2.htm?photos/ameth_00368vas.jpg Mod: Dead Link

Both have the single bubble base again... the amethyst one is listed as Riihimaen - 8" tall, my clear one has no labels/markings and is also 8" tall. Could the clear version be Riihimaen also? Did Riihimaen make clear glass... I seem to only see coloured glass shown as Riihimaen. Any info would be most welcome. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 07:01:36 AM »
Seems to be an identical design - but I do not believe the attribution by vetrocollections is correct. Everything non-blenko on that website is consistently called either "Italian" or "Riihimaki" - even though there are lots of Krosno, WMF and Aseda pieces. And your open bubble piece is so Krosno.... 8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 08:56:39 AM »
Riihimaen did make clear glass items.  :D  I've got one signed Tamara Aladin (shown on another thread) for Riihimaen, and another 'Finncrystal' (which was their export label) Riihimaen vase.  

From left to right:  'Finncrystal' (Riihimaen export label), Tamara Aladin in the middle for Riihimaen, & a Krosno vase on the right.

The 'Finncrystal' vase on the left is good quality, but has an odd straw colouring.  I don't really like these clear vases, and I think generally they're less popular than their cheerfully coloured stablemates.  

Fact about Finncrystal taken from: 'Smoke & Ice'
I am not a man

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 06:48:51 PM »
Thanks Ivo, that helps a great deal. I was worried about the Riihimaen attribution for my clear one, it didn't seem right somehow, and I was aware of the Krosno bubbled bases from the earlier discussion about such bases with Peter and others a few weeks ago.  Krosno would appear to be a more realistic attribution to me also.

Max, thanks for the pic of your clear Riihimaen/Krosno pieces... useful to have as a reference point in case I find some more. :) Are both your Riihimaen pieces signed or not?

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 04:03:20 PM »
There are a series of Riihmaen pitchers, which have a similar undulating form (but without the bubble), called Tsarina, designed by Nanny Still. There's a pic on the following page (about 2/3 down, on the right) http://personal.inet.fi/yritys/wanha.aalto/frame23.htm Mod: Dead Link
robbo

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 04:08:34 PM »
Nice link Robbo. I found a vase of mine there, never seen it in blue before.   :D

Oiva Toikka: Kynttilänjalka/vaasi N465, "Pikku-majakka"
I am not a man

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 05:17:23 PM »
Max,

What colour is your Pikku-majakka? I've a turquoise / kingfisher blue one and a clear one. Have also seen them in a dark green and dark blue. they look great with a big church candle in the top (I think the translation pikku-majakka = 'little lighthouse') — don't let the wax drip inside tho'  :evil: . Unfortunately, they don't really make a pair (my intention) as the shape is subtly different  :cry:.

Robbo
robbo

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 05:49:58 PM »
Robbo   :)

Mine is a clear straw coloured glass.  I've seen one the same on www.mumhadthat.com [ Mod: Dead Link ]for £75 and toyed with the idea of buying it to have a pair...lol  I'm not sure I like the straw coloured glass enough to pay £75 though!  The one I've got was grabbed from the local Oxfam for £4.99  :shock:  :D

I don't suppose you've got the 'Designlasin hintakirja' book have you?

Edit:  Yours sound much nicer than mine, and thanks for the tip about the wax.   :D
I am not a man

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 06:41:19 PM »
I've been toying with aquiring 'Designlasin hintakirja'. Though have just invested in the Kaj Franck WSOY book  :lol: Definitely worth it. My clear one looks very like the mum had that one, but it's definitely clear rather then straw. £75 seems a bit steep - it's one of those things about Nuutajaarvi if it had 'Oiva Toikka' on the bottom people would crawl-over themselves to pay hundreds of pounds  :o
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7343864573&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 Mod: Dead Link
Have recently bought a number of 80s Toikka things, which I'm pleased with.
Anyway, pleased I finally plucked up the courage to post on the board   ::)
robbo

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 08:30:15 PM »
Robbo, thank you for the link... I can see why someone may assume that the ones I'm querying and the Nanny Still one may be from the same works. This probably explains the erroneous Riihimaen attribution for the ones I posted.  :)

Also, welcome to the board.... we're not scary you know. Well most of us aren't!  :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand