No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Norman Stuart Clarke piece  (Read 13104 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Norman Stuart Clarke piece
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
 :o

Ooooh, it's got strange flame-like things coming up from the bottom - I "get it" far better now!

I like Jackson Pollock.
Some scientists analysed his work using computery programmes and such-like stuff, and discovered that his paintings have an inner mathematical structure which is a fractal!
I thought that was absolutely fascinating - and a very good reason why his work has an inherent appeal over random stuff - fractals are a very basic "rule" of nature.

And I agree about the bottle being Pollock-y, that was what attracted me to it! :rn:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 07:42:43 PM »
I am sure there has to be some underlying structure there on the (some of) JP paintings, otherwise I'm sure they'd appear disturbing rather than attractive.  I love them. 
m

Offline Yvan

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
Hi Flying Free

I am Normans son and I can try and answer any questions you may have about his glass.

Yvan

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 10:08:06 PM »
Hi Yvan
A big welcome and thanks for joining the board and offering to answer questions.  That's wonderful.
I suppose my few questions are about my egg really.  I would love to know how Norman managed to create such a precise picture to appear on the surface of the egg (my knowledge of glassmaking techniques is severely limited).  And from Adam's post it seems there were other eggs in the series.  Were they all painterly in approach and are there any pictures at all?
Also I would love to see pictures of Norman's earlier pieces - I have seen some in 20th Century British Glass and I have an old catalogue from 1993 Crafts council which shows a fantastic piece titled 'Mexican Vase'.  There are some beautiful pics on the net of his recent pieces but earlier ones would be wonderful as well.

Thank you again for replying to this topic. It is appreciated.
m

Offline CandyMiller

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 10:03:07 PM »
Further to these posts I have a Norman Stuart Clarke "egg" paperweight that I've inherited from my late mother which is signed on its base "Norman Stuart Clarke 81 LGW"   It's an unusual brown glaze with  an attractive silver/ brown/ blue abstract pattern.  I can send a photo if anyone is interested?

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 10:29:18 PM »
Yes please Candy,  this looks very interesting work indeed.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 02:01:01 AM »
Hi and welcome to the board.  I would love to see the egg also, so yes please do post a picture  :)
many thanks
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »
Candy, welcome to the board. To get you started with adding photos, please see our help topic here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html - but if you get stuck please do ask for help and one of us will rescue you. :)

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand