No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Little More Info on Royo Glass  (Read 25665 times)

Offline krsilber

• Members
Re: A Little More Info on Royo Glass
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »
I guess that would be the second Number 2? ;D

I might add one more question - who's the Mercé Cirera mentioned on this site?
http://www.angelsegurasole.net/
(under Contemporanis)

BTW, after looking around more, I withdraw my earlier opinion that Royo and Cirera have distinctive styles.  It may be the case, but I realized that there was a lot more overlap than I was aware of.
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline hazespain

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »
The origins of Royo are, at the moment, not known, therefore it is an unanswered question. 

Moderator: edited in line with Board Policy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
The source of Royo has been resolved, see above and related thread. Although there are many details to be uncovered.

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 05:17:49 PM »
My understanding from the previous conversation, including the info direct from Gordiola, is that we know Royo used their blanks, but do we know for a fact that Royo worked for Gordiola?  Not sure what is meant by "origins" or "source."
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline hazespain

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »
Yes, we do have the one email from Gordiola.  We don't have the email that initiated this response so I'm not clear what was asked.  I agree with Kristi and would also add that we don't know whether Gordiola is saying it made all the blanks signed Royo.  Given the similarities between some of the Royo-signed work and Cirera-signed work it is possible more than one glassworks is involved but I don't want to speculate Ivo  ;D

And, of course, we still don't know who or what Royo is.  I think if we can track him/her/them/it down then this would be a massive leap forward.

I have written to Gordiola to say, that as Royo worked for them, please could they tell me his full name.  No reply yet though but that seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 11:01:20 PM »
All of this is highly speculative - especially if you introduce unfounded production related quantities like "used blanks" or "more than one glassworks involved". I'd rather wait for proper information before adding to the already impressive amount of desinformation on the subject.

Cirera signed his pieces 'al talon' - so on the bottom, not in the decoration. I've only ever seen "Cire" signed pieces - so for all I know this could be the (highly estimated) CIRE decoration workshop of the Catalan prison authorities, or it could be Cirera's own workshop which operated until 1960. Or even the Joan Cervera workshop - Why speculate? 

If you google with some refinement you get "José Cire Royo" as the artist - but only in English language websites, not in Catalá. So another potential misinformation. All these names are quite common in all Catalan regions, so no conclusion can be drawn. If Royo is still alive he will be in his nineties. Mercedes may be or may not be the daughter of Genis. I will let you know if this information becomes available. Not before.

The glass documentation centre of the Museo de Artes Decorativas in Barcelona is currently working on it - so leave it with them.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 04:45:40 AM »
I am certain that the glass documentation center does not mind if others look into the creation of the glass. To try to censor people's words is not necessary. Personally I appreciate the work that Hazespain and others have put into the research. They have made their work readily available to those of us who needed to know. Most people are intelligent enough to recognize points that are speculative and points that are fact. Without the initial speculation, the facts would be hard to uncover. The speculation gives a direction to look.

Could you please give a credible link to Jose Cire Royo and the painting of glass? That would be a good thing to read. I haven't had much luck following that lead for the last couple of years. A good link would be very appreciated. I am probably missing something when I google.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Sklounion

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 06:24:29 AM »
Forgive me, but I am not sure what the objective is here?

"I am certain that the glass documentation center does not mind if others look into the creation of the glass."

True, but without visiting the same glass documentation centre, and working first hand with the original documents in Spanish and Catalan, in their archives, then research into this topic is a less than rewarding exercise.

"To try to censor people's words is not necessary."  I'm not sure where this comes in.

As an author and researcher, I understand completely the points Ivo is trying to make, and he has my utmost respect for his professionalism as a researcher. Few others travel as extensively, visiting glassworks globally, or are aware of the latest developments in museums and archives.

Regards,

Marcus

Sklounion

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 06:44:44 AM »

Offline hazespain

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 10:15:45 AM »
I'm a bit puzzled as to what's going on on this board.  I'd assumed this was a friendly site but I get the sense that some unpleasantness is creeping in.  Surely people can write what they want as long as it's not obscene or offensive or have I misunderstood something?

I think it is sobering to remember that the reason Moser and Royo were linked in the first place was because a respected glass expert and writer put it in a book!  When people see things like this they assume they are true but history should teach us differently.

I, for one, welcome all constructive input - including raising unanswered questions.  This is how we discover the truth and I believe that amateurs are just as capable of making good points as professionals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand