No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline or Uranium?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Vaseline or Uranium?
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:37:04 PM »
This vase was just an extra in a job lot I purchased for a Vasart clog it contained. Now it has got me wondering what it is. Was it for bulbs (a bit like the hyacinth bulb holders of the Victorian era) or what? Likewise, I am fascinated as to what kind of glass it is as it is a strange greeny-yellow colour. My photos do not really do it justice but hope they are sufficiently clear to help.
Regards
Ronnie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Vaseline or Uranium?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »
seems to be a light green which is iridised. If this glass contains Uranium you can only find out by using UV light. There seems to be no opacity at the edges so it is not Vaseline glass. I doubt if it is a bulb vase as it offers no support for the bulb and little room for rooting. But admittedly a weird shape, and one I've never seen before.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 05:49:43 AM »
The definition of vaseline over there includes opacity?  That's different from the US version.  Yet another geographic difference to be aware of!

I think it looks like it would make a very handy vase.  The little pockets around the edge would hold flowers in place nicely, and the ridges on the bottom keep the stems where you want them.  Nice piece!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:46:03 AM »
There is no hard and firm definition of vaseline "over here" (wherever that may be! In my case it's the UK, in Ivo's the Netherlands); it gets bandied about for any uranium containing glass (with or without a pearline type edge), for anything with a white edge effect and for things like Monax. Much of the bandying is done by non-experts or people wanting to attract the attention of the US. This sort of stuff is way outside Zidori's field, so he's excused.  ;D

Zidori, it's a lovely little vase, my guess (based on the top view) is yes it probably is uranium glass, especially as you say it is yellowy green. But you would need to check it with a UV light and it would need to glow very bright green. Colourwise it looks very like my Loetz Olympia - that might be an avenue to investigate if it is uranium, but I'm not saying it is Loetz.

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 08:05:52 AM »
Thank you all for your responses - I have avenues now to explore. You are correct, Lustrousstone, this is far removed from my collecting field of Monart/Vasart glass and paperweights but it really is fascinating to follow through on some of these pieces and my knowledge and love of glass is increasing all the time. This Message Board is THE BEST and thanks to all those willing to share their expertise. By the way, I should have included measurements - it is 5.5 inches high and 6.25 inches top diameter.

Ronnie

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »
Could this be old English glass? John Walsh Walsh maybe? (Note: My field is outside, and there are cows in it)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 11:02:34 AM »
TC — If it is Walsh, it's completely different to anything I've seen.   On the other hand, as with much hand made glass, there is a considerable amount of Walsh glass that goes unattributed, and probably never will be.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand