No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: CENTURY GLASS, Edmonton, London and Lighthouses ?!?  (Read 11590 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: CENTURY GLASS, Edmonton, London and Lighthouses ?!?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 03:03:19 AM »
Another snippet about Century Glassworks Ltd. - there are notices about the winding up of the company in the London Gazette dated Nov 1965 and Aug 1967, so that gives us an approx end date for them.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline bungie60

• Members
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »
A bit more info on Century glass works hope it helps yours Mark http://www.glassmaking-in-london.co.uk/later-glasshouses

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »
Thanks Mark. :thup:  Good to see the updated info there... in fact I have a bit more to add as well from Thomas in Ireland... I'll go dig it out and post it.

Offline bungie60

• Members
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2010, 06:55:46 AM »
Thought it would be of use Anne, picked one of there square plinths up the other day. Did not realise till i got home the matching vase was on the same stall as well. I blame the tablets lol  :cry:

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 07:22:28 PM »
Oh heck Mark, that's a shame!

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 03:58:57 PM »
I've since bought a Century Glass plinth and a bowl on separate occasions, but the bowl didn't fit on the plinth, so just something to be aware of.
Anne E.B

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »
Here is the info Thomas Joyce has kindly sent me about Century Glassworks which he describes as some information from the London Gazette and The POTTERY GAZETTE AND GLASS REVIEW...

Century Glassworks Limited
The Century Glassworks Limited opened their showroom at no 148 Holborn London EC1 on the 1st of January 1947. They set about pushing for export sales and appointment agents in Australia (John L. Jamieson - Aberdeen House – 34 Clarence Street Sydney), and New Zealand (John Raine, G.P.O. Box 1020, Wellington). In 1948 their market strategy for export sales was to attend at the British Industries Fair in Earls Court - also attended the Canadian International Trade Fair Toronto  in June.  They were manufacturers of glassware: hand blown, pressed ware, machine blown, Bowls, Vases, Jugs, Cruets, Sugars, Creams, in flint and colours.

Their factory was located at the Angel Factory Colony Edmonton Middlesex London. Mr R Winter was chairman of the company. A resolution was passed to put the company in to voluntarily liquidation on the 24th April 1963. It took the liquidator until the 14th of December 1965 to finally close the company.

Thomas has also located images of two Century Glass trinket sets which I shall add info about later. A huge thanks to Thomas for sending me the above and the scans of the sets as well. They have solved two long-standing mysteries. :)

Offline Vera

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Czech glass factories
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2021, 02:20:55 PM »
Anne knows about my recent research into the links between Century and Fountain Glass Works which I have posted under “Topic: Pre-War International Glass Gazetteer (circa 1930)”. But I think it’s worth posting under this thread as well: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uV4jE4AoKUg6r7PL4fjF2mbI_I3HlOtt/view?fbclid=IwAR31jdsuS9ezaE-PnSCXRUgSkB33fBkVbZo75fENMMdyIXMlqEs2Z2-ZOhI

The main directors of both glassworks were from Czechoslovakia (Mr Winter) and Hungary (Mr Richards). My Czech refugee grandparents and parents worked for both companies between 1940 and 1960. I grew up surrounded by Century glass, all gone now.

I hope people find my document "A Czech Glass Factory in Yorkshire, and beyond" useful. (It can also be found on my Facebook page "The Lowit Family - from Bohemia to Britain, and beyond")

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2021, 01:29:38 AM »
Amazing material Vera!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand