No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Good Luck weight - American??  (Read 2188 times)

Offline Kari

• Members
Re: Good Luck weight - American??
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »
Thanks!  This is a really interesting topic.

When I got "Relax", I had initially been outbid because I was away and hadn't known to snipe.  It was quite inexpensive but I really liked the message.  The original buyer must have backed out as they offered it to me.

Since then, I have seen 2 others with the same sentiment, but not nearly as well-made.  They seemed much more crudely done: the colors not harmonious, no controlled bubbles, as well as the fact that mine is on a cushion as opposed to a mottled color-ground.  I had thought the phrase somewhat unique, as I still don't see it as often as the "Home Sweet Home" or "Mother" weights, but the one I own seems to be created in a somewhat different manner.

Any ideas?   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:25:32 PM »
Hum ! very strange, I posted a reply to Kev's last message at about 5pm and it has disappeared!

Kev

The Melvin book on page 71 states :

"Many of the Gentile motto dies were first used by Peter Gentile at the Fry factory at Rochester"

Peter Gentile was there from 1911 and the factory closed in the "early twenties" (Melvin p61).

Melvin P61 states "Peter bought many of his glass tools moulds and dies with him to Morganstown."

Peter was at Morganstown until 1947 having spent 25 years there which would put the closure of the Fry factory at 1921 or 1922.
So clearly die weights were made by the Gentile family from the earliest days.

Kari

Melvin also states P70/1 that " the more common Gentile weight designs that are sold to jobbers and gift shops through the
USA and Canada today (book revised 1970) have designs of yesteryear including mottos ................."relax my darling" .............
Many of the Gentile motto dies were first used by Peter Gentile at the Fry Factory..........."

Best regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Kari

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 03:56:44 AM »
Well gosh, where does that leave my "Relax"?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand