Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Trinket Sets

St Louis pressed glass Lidded Jar

(1/1)

mhgcgolfclub:
I bought this St Louis pressed glass Lidded Jar recently, I am trying to find out an approx age ,I think it could be about 1900 but thats just a guess, cannot find much information or other pressed glass items that St Louis made on the internet seems to be all high quality cut glass,
Height 7.5" or 19cm, weight over 1.5kg, signed St LOUIS in relief

Thanks Roy

mhgcgolfclub:
Still not finding much out on this item but is still being used as a biscuit jar, thought I have another try

Roy

Ivo:
St.Louis came in German hands after the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 and reverted to France in 'la grande guerre'. During this time they produced pressed glass for the German market. Cookie jars are not really a French thing... so I'd guess you have to describe it as "last quarter 19th century".

pamela:
Roy, best I can find:

it's the EMPIRE pattern as shown in St.Louis 1900 (vanity set), but the lids' and stoppers' decoration there is a band of laurel too.

The shape of your pot is identical to the lower part of the water bottle without the neck.

In 1907 catalogue there is an EMPIRE dome footed mustard pot with exactly the same lid as yours.

Size: could also be a 'pot à tabac' i.e. tobacco jar

Couldn't find the EMPIRE pattern in earlier catalogues, i.e. 1872, 1874, 1887.
 8)

mhgcgolfclub:
Thanks Ivo and Pamela for the extra information, its made a good cookie jar for the last year

Roy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version