No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Orange Retro Vase  (Read 4633 times)

Offline chloe

• Members
Large Orange Retro Vase
« on: November 15, 2008, 05:31:21 PM »
Hi

This is (IMO) a fantastic vase!!  Bright orange with silver/grey retro design and cased in colourless glass.  Measures 14 inches high. 

I have absolutely NO idea where to start with this one!  If it doesnt turn out 'intresting' don't worry - I adore it & would prob prefer it that way so I can keep it without feeling guilty.  Oh, and how would the detailing at the top be described?  I see it on a few piece, but can never find the words for it

TIA

Chloe

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Re: Large Orange Retro Vase
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 09:29:34 AM »
Of course it's fantastic, it's the Tigger vase (note: not an official name, just one i made up earlier). http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2673.0.html

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chloe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:38:13 AM »
bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy,
fun, fun, fun, fun, fun  :chky:

(thank you)

Offline Redriihimaki

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »
Looks like Carlo Moretti from Murano to me!

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:33:25 PM »
Looks like Carlo Moretti from Murano to me!

Hi, if you click the link above you'll see that Anne said:-

"Tigger looks like one I had with a pulled feather effect that I initially thought, rather optimistically, might be by Carlo Moretti.  Turned out to be possibly in the style of Moretti, and most likely Florentine (help from Ivo and Peter).  Quite a few of these on eBay at the time."

I know a German dealer who has lots of these vases positively identified as by Opalina Fiorentina - many still stickered.  The Carlo Moretti attribution that seems to be cropping up regularly is as Anne says, optimistic - there's way too many of these floating around for them all to be Moretti output.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:30:09 PM »
I bought a red one a while back and the other half asked me why i had got it out of the loft, i told him i had just bought it and he sai, "well, there is one in the loft just like it that i bought in Woolies 25 years ago" and sure enough there it was.

Offline Redriihimaki

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »
I stand corrected!
Pip you really are a wealth of knowlege!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:03:37 PM »
I stand corrected!
Pip you really are a wealth of knowlege!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodness me no, I know lots about very little  :spls:

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
I know a German dealer who has lots of these vases positively identified as by Opalina Fiorentina - many still stickered.  The Carlo Moretti attribution that seems to be cropping up regularly is as Anne says, optimistic - there's way too many of these floating around for them all to be Moretti output.

There are two companies (er, i think), i often confuse the two, they are, Opaline Florence and Opalina Fiorentina. Just to confirm, is it an exact match, as in, same vase shape, same pattern and with the Opalina Fiorentina label?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 06:46:02 AM »
Hi: Opaline Florence seemed too much an English translation of Opalina Fiorentina so I googled the English term. Many of the references were to VB Opaline Florence and some of the pieces, which looked the vase in this thread, had labels with VB on the label above the Opaline Florence. (See this on eBay, 370114424108, for example.) There was also a reference to this thread from Eggar on GMB, "'I'm trying to identify an opaline cased glass vase with the label ..VB OPALINE  FLORENCE  MADE IN ITALY any help most welcome...thanks  eric." Ivo replies, "I Vetrai di Borgonovo, I would think."

Is this of any help?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand