No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Indigo blue pitcher  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Indigo blue pitcher
« on: September 05, 2005, 01:39:25 AM »
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-502

This sort of looks Scandinavian to me but I can't find anything like it in any of the  links I've followed... does anyone recognise this pitcher please? It's 9.5" tall and tapers in from a wider base to a narrower top.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Anonymous

Indigo blue pitcher
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 01:49:22 AM »
I've the exact same pitcher, but in a smoke grey colour (although the thicker parts look amethyst when held up to the light). Can't help with the maker, but definitely feels scandi.

Robbo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Indigo blue pitcher
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 02:25:20 AM »
Thanks Robbo, that's two votes for Scandi then.  :lol:  I love the colour of the indigo blue one. Reijmyre glasbruk do a similar shaped pitcher but not the same sizes as mine.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Indigo blue pitcher
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 08:31:50 AM »
Both simple design and the smokey colors point to Scandi and probably Sweden but there were so many small Swedish companies operating in the 50s and 60s you might find it hard to pin this one down. See previous inconclusive discussions about modern European jugs / pitchers. Having said this Ivo will probably come along now and say "It's XXXXXX"

I have about 50 companies noted for all of Scandinavia but the vast majority are Swedish. Bill Geary's book gives 56 for Sweden alone but that includes individual studio makers and more recently formed companies. Even in Ivo's very comprehensive A-Z Glass I cannot find Ronneby, Skansens, Trelleborg or Smalandshyttan. It could be that these companies were known by other names.

You do not mention the base, Anne. That would be interesting to know in any case and if a polished pontil then the Ebay favorite Holmegaard is a possibility. BUT, before I get shot down, I am NOT suggesting that all polished pontil pitchers of this type are Holmegaard or that Holmegaard always did a polished pontil. I just don't know.

At this point it could be taken as an indication of better than average quality, and another possible indicator of Scandi manufacture.
Pete

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Indigo blue pitcher
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 01:08:07 PM »
Thanks Peter, I didn't mention the base in the post but it was mentioned under the image.  I've now added a pic of the base showing wear scratches and  the pontil. Oddly enough when looking at the base of the jug it can't be seen so easily... the camera is picking up more than my eyes! The base appears to have a slight spiralling from the outer edge to the pontil mark in the centre.

Jug:
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-502
Base:
http://yobunny.org.uk/gallery1/displayimage.php?pos=-513

Nic (Pinkspoons) left a note on the Gallery about this jug, suggesting Caithness. (Thanks Nic. :))  That's one I wouldn't have thought of for this jug - I was thinking it had Scandi origins - but that was just a feeling, no evidence for that. So, if Caithness, what sort of date are we talking of...? And it'll be another example for Frank's Scottish Glass > Caithness project. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Indigo blue pitcher
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:05:46 AM »
I've been browsing Peter's brilliant website and happened across a Holmegaard jug which looks the same shape and size, but I don't know if it is the same or if indigo is a Holmegaard colour? The catalogue page shows only clear and smoke. Or if HG would it be marked as such? http://www.hardernet.dk/HG_DB/DB_art_glass/Martini-Per_Lutken_1958-.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand