No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Intricate Covered Jar  (Read 1335 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Intricate Covered Jar
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »
If possible, could someone please help me identify maker and vintage of this covered jar?  It is finely made but impossible to determine age.  It has light base wear, but not as much as I'd expect from a piece that's 50-60 years old.
Thanks,
Charles.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Intricate Covered Jar
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:28:28 AM »
Charles: How is the base finished? Size?  Finally, is the handle on top aventurine?

Nice little(?) piece.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 05:56:07 PM »
Yes, aventurine finial (gold inclusions).  I'm not at home, but it's modest size, about 4 inches wide and tall.  Bottom is polished smooth, as you would see with Murano as opposed to Chinese.  The glass is somewhat thicker and heavier than other examples of these kinds of forms I've seen.  However, still a "better" quality piece.  It would be good to know if it's vintage (50s/60s) and better to know if it's by an identifiable maker/designer.  None of my reference books show this piece.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 12:15:10 AM »
Perverse as I may seem, I was hoping for a roughly finished bottom, as I have a couple of similar pieces that are Salviati. They have quite rough finishes, or rather, they are not finished much. I find that pieces like this don't have as much base wear as the ashtrays or geodes. As I said, it looks like a nice little piece, which could have been made by a number of companies in Murano. It's the kind of piece that TxSilver is really good at i.d.'ing. Are you out there, Anita?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »
I'm always at a bit of a loss when it comes to the latticino pieces unless there is a label. So many talented artists have made them. The latticino reminds me of pieces made by Barovier & Toso, Salviati, and AVeM, but the spacing of the latticino seems wider than the vases and bowls I've seen. As David said, the smooth base is also not usually found for these companies. The jar in this thread looks like a good quality bowl that someone spent a good bit of time on. Is there any indication about how old it might be?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:13:22 AM »
It has light to moderate base wear, so if it's recent, it's not "new new."  I have as few bona fide 1950s pieces of art glass with no wear at all, so I suppose the presence or absence of base wear needn't signify anything.  Now that I'm home, I can report it is 5 inches (12.5 cm) tall by 5 inches wide.  And the base in its original state (i.e., minus scratches) was polished as smoothly as the other surfaces.  I actually like the wide latticino effect of the bowl - it reminds me of DNA strands.  For comparison's sake, posted here is a picture of a tiny, more finely stranded piece with mint green bands that I love.  The glass is thinner than that of the jar, and it has a rough pontil (not ground).

Thanks for all the responses,
Charles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand