No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this be an American Brilliant Cut Glass Bowl ?  (Read 5577 times)

Offline KarenR

• Members
Re: Could this be an American Brilliant Cut Glass Bowl ?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 12:40:05 AM »
With permission from the LABAC group's originator, Rob Smith, here is the advertisement showing Roy's sweet pea vase/compote, shown on page INT-10 of LABAC's Cut Glass Advertisements, book 2.  In this case only a maker and country of origin can be ascertained, but without this one advertisement that important information would not be known.  I've been a LABAC member about a year-and-a-half and I've lost track of the number of times this has happened. 

About LABAC:  LABAC is an informal nonprofit research group that pools resources to find and acquire significant Brilliant Period cut glass catalogs, booklets, photographs, scrapbooks, advertising and other materials.  LABAC distributes copies of developed and found materials to members, for their personal study and research use.  There are presently about nine dozen participants, and everyone is invited to join in this important research effort.  Google "cut glass about LABAC" to learn more.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Could this be an American Brilliant Cut Glass Bowl ?
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 02:28:27 AM »
I know almost nothing about "brilliant cut" glass and it's only because I happened to be browsing various messages that I don't usually look at in much detail that I noticed the comment and question:
Looking through book and newspaper archives I have run across the term "brilliant cut" glass in England.  Was such glass made in Europe during the American brilliant period?
Such glass was certainly made in Englnd in that period and Charles Hajdamach included a chapter on the subject in British Glass 1800-1914. He said, however, that the English versions of "brillaint cut" could not be mistaken for the American. The patterns were apparently different with the English preferring less-deep cuts and using hobnails and strawberry diamonds rather than pinwheels and curved mitres. And even though I know nothing much about it, I am aware that in Continental Europe, the "brilliant cut" patterns were often much more like those of the American style, and that's possiby why there is so much pinwheel pattern glass from modern Continental European sources.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand