No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vintage Reverse Painting (beveled glass)  (Read 1129 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Vintage Reverse Painting (beveled glass)
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:40:26 AM »
Hi, got this a few days ago at the thrift store for a couple bucks.  I think it is old (maybe 1950's) era.  I remembering seeing them in here in homes when I was younger.  I think these are referred to as reverse painting....in a sense (?)

The whole scene is painted on the back, then on the front is where more trees are added to give a bit of depth to the picture.  As by the looks of the oval glass with the beveled edges, I think this was poplar in the 40's/50's era.....which is just my guess.

Anyone else know anything about the correct age of these, or the proper name?  Makers?  TIA  :)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Vintage Reverse Painting (beveled glass)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 04:35:28 PM »
These are pretty ageless and can be found going back into history. Dating by the style of painting can be difficult as they are often copies of older paintings. If they come in a frame that can help date.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:49:33 PM »
Seems like the kind of thing that would be popular with hobbyists.  The edge doesn't look terribly professional.  I wonder if you could tell anything by the paint?  How long have acrylic paints been around?
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:59:39 PM »
All I know as I remember these types of pictures in my Granny house, as a tot growing up.  (cough, cough) As I am getting to the half century mark myself  :spls:

The edges do have a few nicks on them, but I would assume from over the years of handling as that is a delicate area.  I did take a pic of the top steel hanger (front) and it seems to have some age to it also. 

I like it anyways....  :)

Info here: Reverse Painting Info=Folk Art--Click Here

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:14:33 AM »
I recall seeing these as a child as well Rose. They were popular in the UK at one time and I know my Mother had one when I was little. Hers was a copy of a well-known painting of swans on a river.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 12:26:47 AM »
I recall seeing these as a child as well Rose. They were popular in the UK at one time and I know my Mother had one when I was little. Hers was a copy of a well-known painting of swans on a river.

Glad to know our ages  :fwr: (lol) and you STILL have a Good memory.  ;D

Found these, scroll down to the 8th Column down (click image to enlarge), see two other examples I have found:  http://www.richesantiques.ca/stock/collections/pictures.html  Was not sure IF this was an North American thing or not - but if Anne recalls them too, they must have been made in other places as well, and poplar for their time period.

I have enclosed a pic from mine of the front silver hanging piece (sadly some of the back paint has chipped away by it) but it looks the same as those in the above link. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand