No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help me identify signature?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
Please help me identify signature?
« on: January 03, 2009, 01:42:05 AM »
  I acquired this very nice cobalt (very dark) blue paperweight with a floral burst on it about a year ago and have been unable to identify the signature.
It looks like it is from 1999 with initials R or B and last one is an L, I think.  I was also curious if the "G" pontil was just by chance or purposely?
It also has the lot or serial number on it also.  The main photo shows the floral pattern, and the rest of the weight just has the stems wrapping around
to the other side.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

westred
westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Re: Please help me identify signature?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:38:52 AM »
I am not able to id the maker of your paperweight, westred, but the colors in it are lovely!  How did you come by it?  It's a pretty thing and, yes, I see the "G" on the pontil, but then, I "see" things others might not .....

Stay warm up there in Fargo!

Lily 8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 03:08:32 AM »
That looks like a piece that was made at Glass House Studio in Seattle, WA.
That is their standard way of serial numbering their weights.
The 'G' on the pontil was just a happy accident as I don't know them to hot stamp a 'G' for Glass House onto the pontil area of their weights.
As to the actual artist, they all sign their names in a rather unintelligable manner.
Frank or Greg Englesby or Eric Bracken is the likely artist.
I've had weights made by all 3 and the only way I determined which artist made which weight was to track them down and speak to the artists themselves.

Offline westred

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »
Mark,

I researched the info you gave me and I don't think that this is where it was made.  The floral design is
very close to the surface and most of the weights I saw from the Glasshouse were "inside".  It could be an
older weight by them.  Not sure yet.  I know that it is a very high quality, whomever made it.
Lily......I agree with your comment, it's quite a find.  I found it in a local thrift store, here in Fargo!
Paid all of $9.00 for it.  This is one of the first PW I found and have not yet figured it out.  But, that's
half the fun of finding neat glass with history on it.  It's like a riddle wrapped in an enigma, as my little
brother used to say!  He is the one who actually passed on this illness of perusing thrift shops and
antique stores to hind hidden treasures.  And now that I caught the fever, it's all consuming.  Well,
he warned me that this could happen!
  FYI, as I am so new to this board, I feel as I can only share this with people that I have recently
 come in contact with.  I had my little brother (42 years young) come up Christmas Eve to be with us
in Fargo.  He is from Lennox, SD, just south of Sioux Falls.  I had my 2 twin sons go get him and bring
him up here, as he had just got out of South Dakota State Penitentiary where he had been for the
last year.  He was in for alcohol related incidences.  To make a long, sad story short, he died in my
arms Christmas morning when I went to wake him up.  It was a very tough thing my wife and I had
to witness, but at least he came and saw all of us before he passed!  We are pretty much at peace
with it, although the vision is still stuck in my head.  He is the one who directed my attention to this
board.  He was never a member, just a lurker, as he had a mental disability that kept him from
enjoying a lot of social activities.  God Bless his soul! :'(

Thanks for the responses.........I really do appreciate it,

westred

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:15:10 PM »
Hi Westred

Another suggestion for you - I think the PW could be from over here in the UK  - either Isle of Wight Studio Glass (IOWSG) or possibly one of the bespoke operations that IOWSG spawned - Kerry Glass in Ireland. Both of these concerns made weights where the design is on the surface. They made many hundreds of these abstract designs.

The mark on the base is an impressed mark. After the weight is knocked off, the base it is heated with a torch to flame polish the base and a die or stamp with the impression is pressed in. If I am correct, it is not a "G" but a stylised symbol representing a gather of glass on the end of an iron.

IOWSG have a web site with a forum at www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk  Suggest you post the pictures there and ask for confirmation.

Good luck and best regards

Derek

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 09:58:55 PM »
I would suggest tracking down Ron Wheeler of Artius Glass, he's the IOW expert and a really nice guy.

http://www.artiusglass.co.uk/

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 02:32:03 AM »
My heart goes out to you and your family for the loss of your brother, westred.  He must have been at peace knowing he was with his family.

I continue to try to decipher the initials/signature on your lovely weight.  It was a very good find.  I find it interesting it is signed on the side of the weight (and signed rather boldly as well!).  Perhaps that is a "clue" as to the maker.

Congratulations .... Lily

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 11:04:18 AM »
I'm so sad to hear about your brother Westred, it must have been awful for both you and your family.  It must be a small comfort knowing you were with him when he passed away.  There can't be a better way to go than in the arms of someone you love.  xx

I am not a man

Offline westred

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »
 :angel:  Thank you for all the comforting thoughts!  It's not easy, as we were very close!  :angel:

westred

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 10:07:13 PM »
Deepest condolences on your loss, Wesred. At least you were able to share some time together before he died.

Take care!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand