No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: exquisitely engraved goblet :-) just rec'd, help with attribution, dating please  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Hi Kristi,
it is lovely piece, without any doubts, I  used term "ordinary" because the pattern is rather simple than sophisticated engraving oftenly shown in my books. I am trying to understand different types of glass than engraved, but I will ask experts from UMPRUM (Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague).

The best summary about Central European engraving masters I have found in Ullstein Gläserbuch  by Gustav Weiß, Berlin 1972 (in German) for the moment. 

Perhaps you could get some hints also from Glass museum from Passau in Bavaria:
http://www.glasmuseum.de 

Now, however I am leaving for France to meet our friend Mr. Sklo Union Marcus :-)

Jindrich

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline krsilber

• Members
the pattern is rather simple than sophisticated

Ah, but that depends on your definition of sophisticated! ;)  I think I know what you mean - the goblet is not covered with masses of engraving.  It's a delicate pattern, neo-Renaissance (which I believe would fall under the rubric of Historismus), and it's polished.  You're right that it's not the type of thing shown in books about Bohemian glass (the ones I've seen, anyway).  Corning has an extensive collection of engraved goblets (many Bohemian) in a study area, and I took lots of photos, but can't find anything very similar there either.  Nor have I seen anything like it online that falls within the right time frame.  To me it seems extraordinary, rather than ordinary, because of the delicate, restrained, "simple" quality to it, during a period not known for its simplicity of glass cutting.

I meant to contact Passau, and completely forgot.  Thank you for reminding me.  And I was happy to see the book you recommended is quite affordable.  Ich lese Deutsch ziemlich gut, solange als ich ein Wörterbuch dabei habe!  Danke nochmal.

Have a good time in France with Marcus!
Kristi

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science."

- Albert Einstein

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand