No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Baccarat facetting  (Read 1431 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Baccarat facetting
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »

This Baccarat flower is a pretty weight, but the facetting does not look original to me - the top is too low.  Any views?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
Re: Baccarat facetting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:52:04 PM »
I tend to agree as I've not seen that motif faceted that way.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »
For starters, I think the weight is St. Louis and not Baccarat. And second it does have 2 inches of height so it probably wasn't cut down too much.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »
Have you considered Chinese?
The profile of this weight reminds me of other chi weights and I'm not happy with the centre yellow -
I thought both Baccarat and St. Louis used different centre canes for their pompoms.
The leaves don't really look like St. Louis leaves, and the latticino should appear to fill out the weight when viewed from the top.

The seller has another paperweight up that's a chinese copy of a NEGC weight.

I could be way off tho.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 03:30:40 PM »
Hi Alex

I think the Chinese copy the seller has is as good as the Chinese got at that time: the complex centre flower of this weight is way above their class, and it may well be St Louis as has been suggested.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Kari

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 07:20:14 PM »
I didn't see it listed as Baccarat - I had assumed it was St. Louis.  That's such a typical treatment of that motif, but the facets don't look familiar at all.  In a way I like them, as it ads a unique touch to a common antique flower.  The other reason I fell pretty stronjgly about the maker is the way the leaves have separated from the stem in places: that also seems unfortunately typical of St. Louis. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand