No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Collection Unknown?  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Glass Collection Unknown?
« on: September 12, 2005, 08:18:19 AM »
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:47:23 AM »
Hi Tigerchips,

Riihimaki fanatics - isn't that first vase a Tamara Aladdin (sp??) vase?

I don't _think_ any of the Holmegaard ones are Holmegaard. Can't help with the rest.

Cheers,
Cathy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:49:10 AM »
:D
Hello, There's something "Caithnessy" about the pink one with the purple around it, third photo under the heading "Scottish", but it also might be Maltese.

The first one under"unknown" looks as if it's been cut down.

Sorry not to be of more help!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 04:42:27 PM »
The red Riihimaki does look like a Tamara Aladin design - Nanny Still did something very similar but with a much narrower tapered top.  As for the rest, sorry can't help and the photographs are not showing them in their best light to be honest.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 05:17:52 PM »
Hi Tigerchips   :)

Both the purple and the blue vase in the first lot of pics look quite modern to me.  I'm unsure about the pinky one...it's the coloured strapping that looks odd, is it purple?

Out of the Holmgaard lot, I like the shape of the white opaque one - that's rather nice!  It does have a Scandi feel to it.  :D  The clear bowls with the coloured centres I think are all *probably* Murano.  You might be thinking of Flygsfors bowls, Coquille range, which are similar, usually cased in white and fabulous quality.

Both the red vases in the Riihimaki section are probably Scandinavian, and possibly from Riihimaki as it's similar to their style.  Not sure if anyone can tell you definitely though.

Could you give another pic of the side view of the base of the 'Unknown' green one?

I really enjoyed looking at your glass, you've got quite a collection going on there!   :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 06:16:05 PM »
Hi Tigerchips.  A fellow Womble I see! :lol:   Here's a good link showing some Finnish glass, to check on pieces that you have that might be Riihimaki http://glassart.5u.com/pictures.html
but there were other companies that made similar looking glass to Riihimaki.

The last green one "unknown"  looks very similar in shape to a piece that I have made by Sea Glasbruk AB, Sweden  (7" high)  which according to Ivo's excellent "glass fact file a-z" is part of the Orrefors Kosta Boda Group 1956-present.  I don't recognise the purple one next to it but it looks Scandinavian, and I love it :P

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:

p.s. just looked at your updated pictures, and the green Holmegaard style bowl looks very much like an Ikea one that they were selling in the recent past, with a smooth pontil mark on the base.  Might be worth checking out their online catalogue.
Anne E.B

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 08:13:19 PM »
Tigerchips

Thanks for more photos.   :D

I have no idea about the pink one.  It looks like a piece of studio glass, but which studio?  I don't know.   :(  

The two purple vases, large and cylindrical, both look modern to me.  It's something about that particular colour purple.  They do like well made though, maybe Polish LSA?  (just my opinion!)

The cobalt blue tall vase, also appears modern to me, again, it's that particular shade of cobalt.  I can't offer you a manufacturer...but again...maybe Poland again?   :?

I'm sticking with *probably* Murano for the little dishes.

The 'unidentified' green tall vase...could be Scandi...I don't know.   :(  

Sorry I can't be more help, but all your pieces look well made, so you've obviously got a good eye.   :)
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 09:38:47 PM »
Can't see anything Scottish amongst your 'Scottish', why did you think that?

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 10:18:55 PM »
i can see a caithness bowl with dolphin's on just hid behind the red vase in the 1st pic
cheers Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand