No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart weights? Perhaps...  (Read 2194 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Ysart weights? Perhaps...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
Sorry not have been around for while folks, but I am having some ill health issues (and my dentist is starting to describe me as being "an interesting patient"!)

Anyway, just a quick comment on these items.

I agree with Alan.
Number 1 looks like many that have either a Vasart or Pirelli "shaped" label.
Number 2 has early canes (at least as early as Ysart Brothers period) but the dome seems very clear and would suggest the later Vasart years.

However, as I often point out to people, only a shortwave UV light will "prove" whether items like these were made before 1956.

PY would not have been looking over the shoulder of whoever made those items, which are all of the "standard gift item" quality produced in thousands by Vasart / Strathearn.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: Ysart weights? Perhaps...
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »
Hi Kev, thanks for your input too, Richard More was kind enough to contact me directly and steer me towards some of his pictures for further guidance, his feeling was that they were Vasart, possibly in the earlier Ysart period for the first one, a bar tool for the second (although as you say, the canes could be earlier - I found the central cane on an earlier Ysart concentric on his pages, but I agree that means nothing in terms of the overall age of the weight), early Strathearn for the last one, so I've kept the middle of the fence referring everyone to here, the Ysart pages and the sections that Richard suggested on his listing.  Hopefully that should be sufficient information for people to make their own minds up as to what these are.

Ultimately, they are nice weights!  I like them, especially the little one.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand