No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Daum decanter signed with initials C B  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Daum decanter signed with initials C B
« on: January 12, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/Daum001.jpg

Just bought this elegant but simple Daum decanter with its original label and signed near the base - Daum - France along with the initials C B.  The initials also are marked on the base of the stopper. 

Can anyone tell me anything about it please?  Why it is marked C B and who C B is  :huh:

I've checked Ivo's A-Z 8) and have found that it can be dated from 1945 to 1975 because of the way it is marked, but can't find mention of anyone with the initials CB.

TIA  ;)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Joschua

• Members
    • Schuerenberg Kunsthandel
Re: Daum decanter signed with initials C B
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »
It is just a guess on this, but handcrafted vessels with a stopper often have a code under the vessel base and the stopper, which is needed for the packers in the factory, so that they know that both are belonging to each other. The stopper is often refined by carving and polishing to fit exactly into the decanter's body, so that it fits tight without easily getting stuck in there on the other hand. I don't know too much about postwar Daum, but if they hired Designers in the post war period, those were mostly quite celebrated artists, designing small editions that are extensively signed, dated and limited. Your decanter looks more like the "simple" factory designed luxury tableware from the fifties or sixties. Like I wrote before, this is just a guess though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Daum decanter signed with initials C B
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:36:12 PM »
Thank you for replying Joschua :).  I've only seen decanters marked with numbers before, not letters, and I just assumed that they were initials belonging to someone.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand