No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a Davidson moonlight basket or a copy ?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Is this a Davidson moonlight basket or a copy ?
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:39:12 AM »
Hi

I bought this basket thinking it is Davidson Moonlight, but now I have it to hold it really doesn't feel right at all.  Does anyone know if this pattern was copied or faked?  It does have a reg no which is correct for Davidson, 96945 - do fakes even put on the reg number or is that proof of authenticity?

The reason it doesn't feel right is because it is very rough and sharp edged. The base looks newly made and with no base wear at all.  The diamonds in the pattern would make a good nail file they are so rough, and the mould lines are very sharp and raised. Almost all the scallops are nibbled and sharp edged, but more as though it has come from the mould rough edged like that rather than broken since.  I have handled Davidsons pearline before and this doesn't feel the same at all.  Was there a finishing process of polishing down the sharp edges, could it be one that missed this process maybe, possibly as a second?

It doesn't glow under UV, but I can't remember whether the other moonlight basket I have had before did or not - does anyone know if moonlight should glow under UV?  I just don't have a good feeling about this basket, the quality isn't right at all :(

Here is the listing with pictures to look at as I only received it this morning and haven't photographed it yet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380101896607&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=025

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Is this a Davidson moonlight basket or a copy ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:28:30 PM »
Hi

I would say your basket is perfectly OK, looks good to me , I would just call it blue pearline, I see no reason why it would have been faked, blue pearline would not glow under a UV light so thats ok, I see many items of pressed glass and many of them have rough surplus glass around the edges which was not polished of when the items came out of the moulds

Roy

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:27:35 PM »
I have the twin to your blue Davidson Pearline basket (in fact I have a wide range of shapes in this pattern - they are all this delicate light blue). I've had it for many years. I am sure it is genuine.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:16:35 PM »
Thanks for the comments :)

Glen, when you feel yours, is it rough or smooth on the scallops?  This is really very rough around the edges, and would probably cut me if I were to rub my hand carelessly over the edges.

I have about 10 Davidson pearline plates, bowls and tazzas in my shop at the moment, and I have had this basket in moonlight before, but none of them have felt like this one. It is a shame I don't have another piece of moonlight in to compare it directly with at the moment.

I suppose it would be a huge job to copy as the mould must be hard to make, as it is quite a complex pattern (I don't know much about the making side of the glass, but I am trying to learn).  I am starting to veer towards the opinion that this might have been a second, as I can't imagine anyone would have wanted to buy it as roughly made as this.  I think I might have trouble selling it on :(

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »
The Davidson colour is actually known by collectors as Moonshine, not Moonlight, which is a pure white and clear (no colour) and quite rare. That basket looks to to be pale blue, so is Blue Pearline.

You should be able to tell with a magnifying glass if it is post production damage, but as the Pearline was reheated after it came out of the mould to achieve the pearl effect, I wouldn't expect there to be the same sharpness you sometimes find on straight out of the mould items. Irregularities perhaps though and scalloped edges are complex. Perhaps you should as for a refund, as that appears to be more than a few nibbles.

When these items were made, I don't think there were seconds. They were either good enough to sell (covering a very wide standard) or they were scrapped. Quality grading is a relative new phenomenon

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 11:09:54 AM »
Hi Christine

Doh - yes, mooonshine is what I meant, I do wish my memory would work properly just sometimes!

It is interesting to know that about moonshine, I had assumed that this very pale blue was the moonshine colour, only having read of it and not seen photos.  It seemed logical as it is a quite different colour from the strong blue I have seen before.  I will check more carefully next time :)

The damage to the scallops could be post production, if so it has had a very hard life as it is on every scallop.  The sharpness of the mould lines underneath can't be damage though, that must be how it came out of the mould.  If it has had such a hard life as to damage the scallops to that extent, it is strange that there is no wear to the flat surface on the base, which I would usually expect to show some scratches after so many years.

I really need to go and get another one back from my cabinet and compare them side by side, I should be able to get over there this weekend.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
I've checked my basket all over and compared it to all the other shapes in this pattern. Curiously, it does seem to have several rough spots on the fluted edge. The other pieces in this pattern seem to be smooth with no roughness. I don't have a convincing explanation for the coincidence.

The light blue of the 96945 pattern is the same on all shapes. It is distinctly lighter that the rest of my Davidson blue pearline patterns. I was always under the impression that 96945 was the first pattern Davidson made in blue Pearline, but I may be wrong.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 07:41:38 PM »
Hi Glen,

You are correct - It was the first pattern made in Pearline. Davidson registered the patent for Pearline on 14th February 1889, the patent being approved on 7th December 1889. Rd 96945 was registered on 31st March 1888. The next pattern - 643 - on 13th August 1889.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand