No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: who made this filligrana vase?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline cpccpc

• Members
who made this filligrana vase?
« on: February 23, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
the vase is 25cm high and 12.5cm in diameter at the top; a fine green thread runs from the bottom to the very top; it is not embedded in the thin wall but attached in relief. I have not found anything of help to identify either the age, the maker, the studio or the country. the only hint I got from a 30s pattern book in Venini's catalogue raisonné.
 have a look at the link, since I have not succeeded to attach the fotos below (too many kb)

thanks for your help

cpccpc

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: who made this filligrana vase?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 09:48:36 PM »
What you describe sounds like a threaded vase, instead of filigrana. It doesn't look like a Venini piece. The threading reminds me of the threaded glass made in England and the USA in the late 19th Century, though your vase doesn't look that old. Maybe some of our UK collectors will recognize it. It is a very pretty vase and looks to be good quality.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »
Anita's right - it's definitely machine threaded. There's nothing like that shape in Gulliver Victorian Decorative Glass that I could see.

Maybe a closer picture of the base would help?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 07:28:02 AM »
And of the top. It looks modern, i.e., not 19th century. The threading on the 19th century vases looks closer together and they are much smaller.  It's a lovely vase though. Is there much base wear?

Offline cpccpc

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
thanks so far. when you say machine threaded, does that mean it was industrially made? would that be the reason for the threading being so regular although at the base where the thread started(?) it looks rather less machine made.

as for the wear at the base: the vase stands on the thread which indeed is a bit worn while the rest of the base is not.

as for age: the amount of tough grime that had to be removed carefully from between the threads it must have been around for some time.

looking forward to more help as to origin.

I shall add some clearer pictures in my face book for you

cpccpc

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:39:29 PM »
"Machine threaded" means the item is set into a device that holds and turns it and applies the threading using precise timing of all movements such that the thread is wound with exact spacing and 'straightness'. It is not necessarily the same thing as "industrially made" if, by that, you mean "mass production". But with the "threading machine" all items made, whether that was two or two thousand, would have equal quality threads.
KevinH

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »
A beautiful description, Kev  :clap: I love the intricacy and accuracy of machine-threaded glass.

Christian, the principal is similar to a wood lathe, if a little more complex, and just as you wouldn't think of a hand-lathed object as industrial, nor should a hand-blown glass with a machine-applied thread.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:35:56 AM »
We would still like a picture of the top rim close up and of the base itself, not quite straight on from above, but close up at a slight angle. I'm still leaning towards mid to late 20th century (although I could be wrong).

Here is a rather nice Victorian bowl and here what is said to be a Stevens and Williams claret jug, which looks to me to be slightly later than the bowl

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »
Base finish is v similar to a number of Bohemian/ Czech items dating 1910-1930's some with Czechoslovakia acid stamp, more usually in simpler forms with red or white threading.
Truit's VII p50 shows a clear green machine-threaded horn, acid stamped.
Opposite is a tango item in opaque mid-pale green.

Is the foot hollow ? If so that is another feature of glass from this region and period.
Pete

Offline cpccpc

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »
Hi there,
thanks for your help. I think you are right with Bohemia. I have placed some other fotos of the machine threaded vase, so you can carry on your analysis.

since you are such a help, I've added fotos of two iridescent glasses I've not been able to identify.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9419&id=1656425427&saved

best wishes

christian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand