No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cute Chinese copy of Murano bull  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Cute Chinese copy of Murano bull
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:34:54 AM »
Have you guys come across this beastie before? The differences between this and the originals are pretty stark, but it's sooo cute! There's something almost Asian-cartoonish about the curves of this bull.

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/zibogifts/product-detailhbBQsVlCCAYr/China-Glass-Bull-53344-.html

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Cute Chinese copy of Murano bull
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:24:55 AM »
I remember these when I had a tour of the Zibo stand at the Frankfurt fair some years ago. It was a dazzling array of thousands of paperweights stacked high to the ceiling. I think they figured, if we have to ship by container anyway we might as well fill it...

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:47:17 AM »
Anybody remember the children's story about Ferdinand the bull, that didn't want to go into bullfights. He'd much rather stay in the meadow smelling the flowers....Well, I think we should call this bull Ferdinand.  ;)

Carolyn

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 08:29:40 AM »
For the low and medium quality glassworks the competition with the chineese glassworks is pratically lost. They are working with the same techniques and same subjects and the final result is pretty good, compare with the first ugly copies of 10 years agoo. The high end glass is out of their range for now, may be because they are more interested in quantities than in quality, but I think that if one day they will verify a good demand for such kind of "quality glass" in few steps they will reach also the higher skills.   :ac1:

I see a very bad future for Murano   :-\

Sincerely

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 01:21:49 PM »
What you say is so true, Alex. The Chinese were known as great artisans before Communist times. The recent high production pieces, I'm sure, are like a black eye to many of the talented Chinese artists. Perhaps in the future the skills of the glassmakers will be more appreciated and higher wages will be paid, pushing the prices of their wares up. It is difficult to compete with the low prices. For now, I trust the glass of Murano. The glass does not yellow or become cloudy with age. I don't know what the Chinese pieces will look like a few years down the road.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:40:25 PM »
Alex and Anita have said it all, maybe the global credit crises will slow the flow.

To me it is such a shame, true Chinese glass of the quality history would dictate would be so very collectible.

Oh well "wish in one hand"
martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand