No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Archimede Seguso Ruby Red Opaline Lamp Base??  (Read 1438 times)

Offline paintpony

• Members
Archimede Seguso Ruby Red Opaline Lamp Base??
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:56 AM »
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and an absolute novice to all things glass so apologies for my lack of knowledge.

I have a lamp base that I believe to be by Archimede Seguso...

The lamp base measures approx. 35cm in height and is ruby red in color with an opaline finish. 

I have a book in my possession titled 'Fifties Glass' by Leslie Pina.  The book has a chapter titled 'Lables & Signatures' and the book shows a photograph of a label which advises 'MADE IN MURANO - ITALY-' and shows a round red label with a scalloped edge in gold - the writing on the lablel 'MADE IN MURANO - ITALY-' is also in gold. 

The label on the base of the lamp that I have is the exact same as that pictured in the book, however, the label on the base of my lamp base is in considerably better condition. 

Does the label confirm that my lamp base is by Archimede Seguso? 

I have conducted a search on Google Images and while this has assisted me in confirming that Seguso did, in fact, create lamp bases the Google search did not reveal anything that resembles the lamp base that I have in my possession.

My questions are:
Does the label on the base of the lamp confirm that it has been created by Archimede Seguso?
What would be the estimated value of the lamp base?

I look forward to your expert opinions and to chatting with one and all!

Kind regards,
Leanne

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Archimede Seguso Ruby Red Opaline Lamp Base??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
Have a look through here and here, they may help with your label

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Archimede Seguso Ruby Red Opaline Lamp Base??
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 12:57:46 PM »
Leanne, your label is an Archimede Seguso label. I checked Leslie Pina's Archimede Seguso and read that the red one was used on glass after the mid-1950s (probably into the 1970s). The white label was used to give the model number. Nice lamp!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand