No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: iridescent glasses wiener werkstatt?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline cpccpc

• Members
iridescent glasses wiener werkstatt?
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:11:05 PM »
have not found out which glass-manufacture or who made these glasses. they have a very thin body of yellow tinge and a blueish iridescence. They remind me of glasses made by Josef Hoffmann. someone suggested they were made by lobmeyer.
take a look under:

thanks for any help

christian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: iridescent glasses wiener werkstatt?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:38:41 AM »
Blown iridescent table ware is not uncommon and the stuff I have/have seen would seem to date to the 1950s.  My guess would be Dutch or Czech but no more precise than that. Unfortunately the blown stuff seems hardest to pin down. Moser seems unlikely though

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:53:35 PM »
Iridescence was widely used in Dutch glass in the 1920s and 30s, but I have come across similar items in France, too.  The shape looks twenties to me, and the very thin quality looks Leerdam - but you'd really need to handle the piece to be sure. I'd need to see the straw colour in daylight, and see/feel the rim finish in fine detail. Meanwhile, Lobmeyr and Poschinger should not be excluded either...

Incidentally, neither Hoffmann nor Lobmeyr were glass makers. Hoffmann was a designer who also worked for Lobmeyr, and Lobmeyr is a retail outlet in Vienna who does its own designs. If you ever get to Vienna, climb to the shuggely third floor where they have a fantastic display of things they made.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cpccpc

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »
I have just received a message from Lobmeyr, Vienna that the glasses were designed ca. 1920 by the great Wiener Werkstatt artist Vally Wieselthier (and I thought she was fixed on her terrific ceramics!) for Lobmeyr. Ms. Poigenfürst from Lobmeyr tells me, that the glasses are from a set with the number 247 called "Tulpenkelch"; the glass being "Musselinglas" and the name of the lustre "goldlüstriert".

:hiclp: I'm thrilled to bits and love to share this with you.

cpccpc

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand