No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is there a way to date Murano Stickers? I looked on stickers 101  (Read 3032 times)

Offline loveglass

• Members
I have a paperweight with the same sticker as the sticker on page 11 second row second one in on the Murano 101 labels

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Is there a way to date Murano Stickers? I looked on stickers 101
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:25:16 AM »
well, since no one has answered, I thought I would offer a word. The label is considered to be a generic mid-20th Century label. I have not seen any dates for it. Many of the labels were used for a couple of decades, so without documentation, it is difficult to say anything more exact. I wish that we had a year range for all of the labels. It would provide a lot of good information.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
Just to add a note to Anita's comment. For the well known companies, i.e. the ones who produced glass worth a great deal and/or glass which is highly valued aesthetically, you'll find there are a few sources which give you an idea when a particular label for a company was made. Heiremanns in Themes and Variations, for example, gives a history of the labels for AVeM, Barbini, Barovier & Toso, Cappelin, Cenedese,  Salviati, Seguso VA, Fratelli Toso, and Venini. I don't think anyone has done the research for the thousands of other labels that existed for a couple of reasons: first, it would be really difficult, as companies come and go without keeping records in the way that Venini does, for example; and, second, it doesn't really make difference when some pieces were made. I've got the label you mention on a few pieces, one piece pretty much basic tourist glass (an orange ewer), and another on a quite nice little fenicio jug. I know the latter piece is way better than the first piece, yet they both have the same label. That is, the label doesn't tell me much, I have to look at the piece of glass itself for that. I guess the basic question is whether you think your paperweight is  well made.

Yet the labels that are in Heiremanns and elsewhere are useful in that they give you a ballpark figure for when a particular style of label was in vogue.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 05:29:52 AM »
I was moving my glass around this weekend, and I looked for the label loveglass asked about (it's the Vetreria Artistico Venezia on a red diagonal stripe on a rectangular gold foil label). I had more examples than I remembered. I was struck by the variety of styles and quality. One piece looked very much like it was made by Campanella and another piece owed a lot to Barovier and Toso.  Others pieces were much less well made. I started wondering if this label might have been used by a number of companies for their more generic glass, sort of a forerunner to the promovetro label. Anyone have any ideas on this?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
I had a few small glass vases and paperweights that had the VAV label. They looked like they could have been done by Fratelli Toso and Barbini. I wondered if the label was put on by an importer that ordered things from various companies or an exporter of goods to the US. I know that the Italians know, but they're not talking!  :o

Wouldn't a book on Italian labels be nice?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand