No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass wheelbarrows  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Lea

• Members
Re: Glass wheelbarrows
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 06:20:12 PM »
Dave, I might have an update on the small wheelbarrow.  The Open Salt Compendium, on page 261, has this to say about it:

...formerly considered the BARLEY pattern by Adams Glass Co., with very faint marks under the wheelbarrow Pat. Apld. For, c. 1882, is now believed to be the HORSESHOE pattern (also known as GOOD LUCK or PRAYER RUG), patented by James Dalzell, an officer of Adams and Company.  It has been found in clear (most common), frosted, and more recently and very rarely in canary.  Prices are $100 in clear, $125-150 in amber, and $280 in canary.  (This information was noted in the first Open Salt Collectors National Newsletter published in 2001 and provifded by Ed Bowman, citing authors Steven D. Skeim and Dave Peterson, Editor of Vaseline Glass Collectors Inc.)

LOL!  OK, I'm still going to post this but, boy, do I feel silly:  it wasn't until I typed the attribution at the end that the penny dropped!  I hope, at least, the Compendium got your details right.

Lea, slinking off to find a dark corner to hide in

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Re: Glass wheelbarrows
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
Lea: since my book was written (2000) and the COMPENDIUM was written, I saw an auction for Green Valley Auctions that had a blue and a clear one (in one lot) that sold.  I also own an amber version.....so all colors are present and accounted for!  I did not buy the blue and clear versions, as they went high.  I got a damaged amber for $25, just to have one. 

Glad the 'penny dropped' and you figured out who I am!

Dave
aka: David A. Peterson, author of VASELINE GLASS: CANARY TO CONTEMPORARY

(more commonly known as 'Mr. Vaseline Glass'!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand