No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: did salvatore ysart have had problems with annealing?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline incazzatonero

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • Germany
did salvatore ysart have had problems with annealing?
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:51:51 AM »
if that is a salvatore ysart weight (with annealing cracks), could it be possible that he have had problems with the handling of the techniques and so on?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: did salvatore ysart have had problems with annealing?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:33:46 AM »
Certainly at Moncrieff annealing gave problems. At Shore Road the annealing lehr was primitive but annealing problems are not usual. So the answer is yes and no... :spls: It could have happened later though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: did salvatore ysart have had problems with annealing?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
Many weights (and some bottles) from the early Vasart years end up with fractures. I have an example with a crack through the full centre and I am expecting it to fall into two parts one day! I also have some Paul Ysart weights that have fractures.

I don't think it means a particular problem with the annealing but any stresses that did remain could easily have been stable for many years until, for whatever reason (perhaps temperature or collision) they result in a fracture.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand