No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible salvador glass  (Read 2756 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
Possible salvador glass
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:50:29 PM »
This is mainly for Kev but any other input would be appreciated. 

This glass is about 3 inches high, and has a concentric cane base. THe inner ring is typical vasart orange and pink, the next ring is a complex cane and the outer complex multicoloured

Attached are a couple of photos - side on and the base. Sorry they are poor but it was a quickie with the camera on my mobile.  However they should give a decent impression.

What do the team think
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
Re: Possible salvador glass
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »
And here they are
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
Sorry Martin, I have no idea about this one. Unfortunately, I cannot see the canes in enough detail to comment on them other than to say they do seem to show an "Ysart" style and colouring.

I have never seen an "Ysart" glass like this before, and I would hesitate to say much about it without first getting it UV ckecked.

KevinH

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
Kevin

Thanks for that. When I first saw the image of this I was intrigued as the thing that stood out was the orange colour.

It came with a standard small Arculus shot glass. However this one puzzled me because of the colour and the shape. Looking at the canes. the complex ones smack of Ysart ones.  However I had never seen or heard about Ysart  glasses before, which was why I was very interested in your comments about that. Interesting that you have never seen one! 

The images were as I mentioned a quick shot on the mobile before I left home (i am working in Edinburgh).  I will get my other half to do a better photo. I do not have a black light - I suppose I really should get one! (as well as kit to do specific gravity so I can enter the Ysart badge debate!) 

Martin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 03:02:30 PM »
I do not have a black light - I suppose I really should get one!
A simple blacklight (longwave uv) will not separate early Ysart stuff from later as it will show (for example) all Ysart / Vasart / Strathearn items as a Green reaction. As yet, I have not been able to confirm the views of some folk that different shades of Green uv reaction can determine different periods of manufacture or different makers.

A Green longwave uv reaction can also be seen for lots of other makers' items (using a soda glass batch). But if an item does not show as Green under blacklight, then it is a safe bet that it was not made by any of the Ysart men.

With a shortwave uv light there is a Blue reaction for all later Vasart and Strathearn. The shortwave reaction is Grey for earlier Vasart (Ysart Bros) and art glass / weights made by the Ysarts at Moncrieff.
KevinH

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:59:43 AM »
I have put a couple of better photos of the base canes onto photoshop
http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/mjryorkie/weights/
Martin

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:47:48 AM »
I don't think I have an example of the rather over-the-top orange/yellow cane in the central row. But the other two canes are certainly included in two weights I have (one cane in each) and which are definitely early Ysart.

I do not think the glass was made by Paul Ysart because the selection of canes is typical for early Vasart. But it needs the shortwave UV check to determine if the glass really is early or later. It could just as easily be later Vasart or Strathearn (or even later). And I know that some Ysart canes also made their way into occasional items very probably made at Perthshire Paperweights.

Interesting item, though. If anyone reading this has contact with Catherine, daughter of Vincent Ysart, then perhaps she could comment on whether such items were made by the Ysart men.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand