No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Georgian claret jug identity?  (Read 703 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Georgian claret jug identity?
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:32:54 PM »
HI could anybody tell me if this is a georgian claret jug its 9" tall a large polished pontil to base with lots of wear to its extremities, Doesnt appear to have any marks where you might expect there to be if it had a stopper. The quality appears very high with lots of detail. would love to know who or where it was made and its age maybe if its worth much it was bought for £2 at a charity shop. First post high all.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glass

• Members
Re: Georgian claret jug identity?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
This is a nice claret jug, I would say it dates Regency c1820, It has flute cutting, applied plain neck rings and strap handle. Neck rings are not only for decoration, they are there to help you get a good grip so they are not seen as often on claret jugs as they are on decanters. Your jug can also be dated by the handle. The handle on your jug has been applied at the top, then pulled over and down, later jugs will have their handle applied to the bottom and pulled up.

Cheers
Struck By Lightning

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
Its nice, tricky to be sure, the 3 neck rings, do they look applied seperately, maybe with a join somewhere
on the ring, , that would be old! or do the rings appear to be all part of the neck, and solid ? In which case,
a later copy.

Andy.

(ive just noticed Glass's reply,
who thinks the photo shows applied neck rings, meaning its more likely older. What do you think?)

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:10:26 PM »
Hi thanks for the reply i do believe they were applied later as they are not applied spot on square to the neck each is a little different in perspective to the neck, im unsure weather it may have had a stopper as there is no wear, I guess its a nice find anyway and from the research ive done seems a little less common then claret jugs with metal applied also to them i thought it may have been from the regency period deep down also thanks the information is great! :hiclp:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand