No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: straw coloured vase.  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
straw coloured vase.
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:00:19 PM »
If nothing else it's an unusual shape  -  and not something i can see in my few books.    It does however, look and feel a quality item, and judging by wear on the base, cud be something like 30 - 50 years old.   I hesitate to say Scandinavian, so pretend I haven't.            Size:  20 cms. x  14.5 cms.  x  6.25 cms.   heavy with a smooth unsigned - non-pontil base, and the top edges are bevelled both inside and out.            Medium straw coloured.   Grateful if anyone can give a clue as to factory and/or date.         Many thanks              Paul.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: straw coloured vase.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:39:39 PM »
It's a bit dark but the colour may be citrine in which case the vase is more likely to be Czech.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 07:57:02 AM »
thanks Ivo  -  having looked at it again think you are right, the colour does have a deep richness to it.        Paul

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:18:07 PM »
took this with me to the V. & A. in London earlier this week - and asked for their expert opinion.   Unfortunately, they were not able to give an absolute definitive answer - but did consider it was quite possibly Moser, in view of the high quality.   Bit of a disappointment, but I always enjoy the visits, and although I do take pics. for my own personal use didn't ask if I could post any on the GMB  -  feel they would have probably said no.    If you haven't been, and are not too far away, it's a must  -  makes you want to throw your collection away and give up.   I'm fortunate in being reasonably close, so I get there every two or three months.
P.S.  Christine - the B. & S. U. toilet water bottle was confirmed as 'crizzled'. :)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 07:42:48 AM »
It's lovely. I would certainly contact the Moser service department. They are very helpful and quickly to reply. They have told me that almost all Moser pieces have an etchmark to the base (which yours apparantly hasn't, but that's hardly conclusive) - but they still might indicate which factory it might be if it isn't Moser. In my case they suggested Zelezny Brod (who also did a lot of citrine). From the shape, I would certainly start looking at postwar German or Czech if not Scandinavian.

customerservice(AT)moser-glass.com is the email  you can use.
Mod: change (AT) to @ to make email address workable.

Let us know what they say!

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 04:04:29 PM »
Astrid - my thanks for your kind and helpful reply  -  and I will certainly contact Moser via your suggested email address, and will let you know how they respond. :phew: :hi:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 11:34:51 AM »
oh well, you can't win them all.    Reply back today from the Customer Services Department of Moser, who regret that this piece does not appear to have been on of theirs, and they unable to offer any suggestions re origin.   Anyway have thanked them for all their efforts, and will try to think of another direction.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:07:47 AM »
 :hi: Paul S.:

Pretty color, almost like a Topaz color as in Birthstones. 

I draw a ___?___ trying to find anything right now.  This might be a silly question (but now I am confused about the subject) is this a vase, or could this be a Celery Vase style....Not knowing how long celery vases were made.  But to me (maybe) won't celery fit better standing up in something like this.....than flowers, as you would need them to be filled really full to stand up nice.

I asked this Only because  -- Now I am going to looking at *every vase*, and wondering IF it is a celery vase....as I do not know how to tell. 
DOH @ me

Does Citrine colors ever glow?

Beautiful Color !!!
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:16 AM »
Not it's not a celery vase and probably not even for flowers, just decorative. ZBS would seem a likely candidate to me.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 08:53:58 AM »
 :huh: -- I don't think it has a ZBS look to it.  It's too 'industrial', and the colour (which Paul originally described as medium-straw) doesn't seem right.  In fact, I'd be surprised if it were Czech.  (Forgive me for putting in my two pennies -- I know that I know next-to-nothing when it comes to glass, so you may start shooting now...  :pb:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand