No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1700's or repro wine glass  (Read 5218 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
1700's or repro wine glass
« on: September 23, 2005, 06:18:39 PM »
took a chance on this one, i got it off ebay, it measures 9.25" high with a thick drawn trumpet bowl, the glass has a yellow tinge to it and some part's are streaky this is were i think it could be a repro " trying to make the glass old yellow", the foot is on par with 1700's with a snapped pontil and age related wear to the base of the foot

click on image for larger photo

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 06:53:25 AM »
Acording to my book, old glasses should have sriations or tooling marks on both bowl and foot. The bowl should invariably show three or more faint creases running diagnally down from the rim.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:48:28 PM »
all the tooling marks are there on both bowl and foot
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 05:12:17 PM »
Hi folks,

My understanding of the precise details of identifying 18th century drinking glasses is quite limited. But I will offer a few points as to why I think Ray's glass is not 18th century (at least, not the usual English or Dutch as seen in sale rooms and books).

The very yellow tint to much of the glass does not seem to fit with regular 18th century pieces which were made of "glass of lead". Even with a "greyness", as mentioned elsewhere by Ivo, 18th century glass still had a clarity that was obvious in even the dullest of examples. It was the clarity of the English (and Dutch) pieces that were one of the major reasons why they bacame, probably, the best in the world at the time.

Tooling marks and so forth are indeed found in many, and maybe most, or even all, 18th century drinking glasses. But, as stated in another topic, copiers and fakers did their best to emulate those features.

As and example of how difficult it can be to spot a fake amongst the genuine, check out this image, which shows (just for the fun of it), six 18th century glasses and one which is possibly early 20th century:
http://tinypic.com/e0llox.jpg
All of those glasses, including the odd one out, have evidence of "old" workmanship in the bowls, stems and feet.

I have added sizes (in inches) and weights (in grammes) to the photo as a guide to how people may be able to detect a wrong 'un without having to think too much about all the other pointers. Given that the real items were of lead glass, size for size there should be a general correlation between the weight of each. One of the glasses in the photo does not tie in well with the size-to-weight analysis.

Another pointer, which is not always clear (pun intended), is the often stated "ping" test. Of the seven glasses shown in my photo, two are duller but still have a ringing tone, but one has just a dulll "thuck", no matter how it is held or where it is pinged. And that one is the same one that fails the weight check.

So, Ray, what is the weight of your very tall cordial (?) glass?

Another point, according to L M Bickerton (author of 18th Century English Glasses, An Illustrated Guide), is that items with coloured twists in the stem usually attract "many times the price" than if the same glass had only opaque white for the twists. He also suggested it was this price difference that "encourages reproductions", and he said that the copies were
Probably of Contintental origin ... Light weight makes one immediatley suspicious ...  the threads themselves are weak in colour, lacking the solidity and brilliance of those in genuine English glasses.

I think the blue twist in Ray's glass falls into the category of "weak in colour".

And finally, on the point that Tigerchips raised about a book quote of:
The bowl should invariably show three or more faint creases running diagnally down from the rim
I too would be interested to know which book that is, because I think it is misleading to say that such creases should run diagonally :!:
KevinH

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 05:40:31 PM »
I'd like to recommend a Glass Circle publication; 'Diamond Jubilee', incorporating 'English Glass Collecting for Beginners' - a series of five letters [to a beginner], by John M Bacon.

http://www.zen12399.zen.co.uk/glasscircle/html/catalogues___other_publication.html

It's in-depth yet easy to understand, and most importantly it makes the subject matter interesting!  I've always had a bit of a block with this type of glass, but thoroughly enjoyed reading this.   :)
I am not a man

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 06:57:25 PM »
thanks for the run down Kev, it weighs 246g or 8.3/4 oz

on your glasses Kev i think the fake date glass is the most one on the right. looks like it's from bohimia , just a guess i dont know to much about old glass
cheers Ray

Offline roget123

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 08:06:15 PM »
Hi Ray,

Sorry :cry: but I strongly believe your glass is a repro, and a very badly made one at that.  
I started my collecting habit with 18thC wine glasses until they became too expensive for my limited budget, and over the years I have seen many examples, albeit, mainly in good collections with the cream of those glasses on show.  I have never seen one that is so poorly proportioned or made as this one. The stem bulges and leans, the glass colour - yellow - why yellow to try and kid someone it is old???? :roll:

The shape and thickness of the bowl  is also suspect and finally I have never seen a twist stem glass where the twists start within the foot-to-stem joint, they normally are contained inside the stem.  Who ever made that glass seems to be someone's apprentice having a bad glass day and possably had never seen a genuine 18thC glass before!!

Has Kev stated a colour twist stemmed glass should be worth if right, several thousands of pounds (GBP) and therefore not likely to appear on Ebay,

So once again sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the best thing you can do with that glass is to put it down to one of life's experiences.

Geoff Timberlake
Geoff Timberlake
Glass Anorak !!!

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 08:30:05 PM »
I Think it is the one on the far left, it should be heavier for it's size and the conical foot looks too steep (just a guess).

I got my previous information from "Miller's Understanding Antique's (1992)".
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 09:41:54 PM »
hi Geoff,  it was a chance to take, in the back of my mind it was saying repro but just wanted a 2nd 3rd opinion
cheers Ray

Anonymous

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 10:23:16 AM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
I Think it is the one on the far left, it should be heavier for it's size and the conical foot looks too steep (just a guess).

I got my previous information from "Miller's Understanding Antique's (1992)".

From the hints Kev gave, it must be the one on the far right, which has the least weight to height ratio.

Tell you what Ray's example reminds me of, and that is the huge volumes of really roughly made recycled glass that comes out of Mexico. I'm not saying that's what it is, but the production values certainly remind me of it.

Cathy B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand