No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Valid Barovier-Toso Signatures  (Read 2336 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Valid Barovier-Toso Signatures
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:01:56 PM »
There have been some forged Barovier & Toso vases turning up on eBay recently. The vases are crudely signed in the middle of the base over what would be the pontil area if the vase were blown. I don't have any forged glass around, so I thought it would be good to talk about what the real signatures would look like. Horochar has an excellent example of a real signature in his BT thread of last week. I've included another from a reticello vase below. This type of signature was done in the 1970s-early 1980s. Later signatures, according to Heiremans in his book Murano Glass, Themes and Variations, looked the same, but were thicker. IME, the signatures are not found in the center, but are displaced toward the edge of the base. This is even if it is over decoration, as can be seen in the reticello vase. Horochar, if you are reading, where is the signature on your vase located? Has anyone seen a ligitimate signature in the middle of the base?

Anyway... I reported a couple of forgeries to eBay, but don't know how that will go. Just thought I would drop a word to be on the lookout for them. A couple of the vases sold were Crate & Barrel vases that go for $10-20. The one I saw today looked like it was of a similar form as the Crate & Barrel vases, though I couldn't be sure what it was. I just knew it wasn't a BT.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Valid Barovier-Toso Signatures
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 03:39:04 PM »
I have two pieces of Neolitico glass one a vase the other a bowl  the bowl is signed Ercole Barrovier 1960 in one curved line  around the outer edge of the flat polished base ,the vase is not signed an Italian dealer tried very hard to buy the bowl from me but wasnt as interested in the unsigned vase this was about seven years ago , i turned him down , the person i bought it from thought it was stone not glass , one of my books says E/B only signed special pieces for friends or museums .

Offline soledivo

• sir. or lord. your higness would be nice
  • Members
Re: Valid Barovier-Toso Signatures
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
very helpful Anita, specialy to comparatively new collectors like me,
I wonder if I may ask, any chance of a closer picture,
unfortunately the technique of the piece is masking the signature.

thanks as always
martin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand