No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New glass today. Any idea of the maker????  (Read 978 times)

Offline jal

• Members
New glass today. Any idea of the maker????
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:27:53 PM »
    Hi,  I have purchased a glass vase today, because I liked it.  Picture hopefully included. I would like to know the maker/factory, and possible year of manufacture.   It is a thick, heavy clear glass, with a green & purple , leaves & flowers pattern.  The base is polished, with no signatures or other marks anywhere.  Its height is 130mm and maximum diameter is 120mm.    Any help greatly appreciated.
Regards,  John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: New glass today. Any idea of the maker????
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:00:31 PM »
I seem to remember that is a Chinese production... sorry to spoil your easter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »
I seem to remember that is a Chinese production... sorry to spoil your easter.

Yes, definitely Chinese. There are some similar vases at http://www.cnexpot.com/abglasweb/zxgp43.htm. I had a couple of vases like jal's with the purple and green. One of them was very nice. The other was inferior. I originally thought that the bad one was a reproduction of the other. It turned out they were both the same vase, just different in the quality of the workmanship.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline jal

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:04:29 PM »
   Sad that it's Chinese, but I still like it.   I thought I had seen similar before, maybe at a glass fair, but perhaps it was at TK Max!!!!.     How do they make these things, & get them here for peanuts????   Is Chinese glass a collectable of the future?   Could fill the house for £50.
   Many thanks for the replies,
     John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »
The better Chinese glass will probably be the collectibles of the future. The high-production glass like your vase is made in such large quantities that it will probably take 100+ years to have a good value. Maybe we should think in terms of heirlooms for the great-grandkids.

Some Chinese glass is currently collectible. Carefully made Chinese glass is very desirable. Often the word Chinese gives negative connotations because of the high-production stuff. I look at a lot of animals and often see Chinese pieces that are much better in design than the European art glass pieces. When it comes to Chinese glass, it would be nice to separate the good from the bad so we don't shun the work of the more talented workers. If your vase is one of the good ones, then to me it is a keeper. One of my Chinese vases that was like yours was as well made as anything that comes out of Orient & Flume.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand