No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Marquis by Waterford made in Poland - info please  (Read 5486 times)

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
Marquis by Waterford made in Poland - info please
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »
The label on the bottom of a ship's decanter reads "Marquis by Waterford made in Poland" - gold with green lettering.

A joke? Waterford crystal was made in ** Poland **? This brand seems to only be available in the USA. It's on that website not UK.

More info please, for example, how old is this Marquis brand?

Thank you

Deb

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Marquis by Waterford made in Poland - info please
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »
It's called outsourcing! See paragraph 8 here

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 02:17:30 AM »
Obviously not concentrating - offshored all the Irish jobs, then closed @ home. I perceived the Waterford closure thing as 'no-one buying anymore'.
BTW off-shoring didn't work - still went into receiversip.

Companies which downsize continue to downsize until they cease to exist.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:01:11 PM »
Debbie,

Waterford Wedgwood did, as you say, go into receivership, but they were bought by an American venture capital company (KPS) earlier this year, and, as I undestand it, are restructuring in order to carry on producing. It may be Chinese Whispers, but I did hear that outsourcing was being reconsidered (but that might be a hope that just got converted in the re-telling!!).

IMHO part of the downfall was the lowering of the quality of a world renowned product, through outsourcing. It was quite possibly part of the complex downfall of the company(s), along with the rates of exchange, etc, etc...

Oh, a sense of proportion, not everthing was outsorced, I believe the expensive quality items continued to be made in Ireland.

Nigel

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »
And fabulous stuff it was too being made in Ireland, at least it was when I was there about 11 years ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand