No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Question about a Vicke Lindstrand Giraffe  (Read 5934 times)

Offline Glass Nisse

• Members
Question about a Vicke Lindstrand Giraffe
« on: April 26, 2009, 11:15:27 PM »
I am new to this message board but I am already impressed with the level of knowledge many of you have about Scandinavian glass. I am hoping someone can teach me something about a Vicke Lindstrand glass giraffe I recently acquired.

This is the giraffe found in several sizes up to about 13 inches. The characteristic giraffe markings are etched into the glass. I have seen dozens of these on Ebay and Tradera over the years. All of them are clear/colorless glass. The one I recently acquired is brown/amber colored. The color appears to be a coating the outside of the glass. It is marked: 'Kosta 95731 Lindstrand.'

Any thoughts?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Question about a Vicke Lindstrand Giraffe
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:41:35 AM »
Welcome to the board. Can we see some photographs please, including of the base

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 02:28:59 PM »
Hi:

Just a point: The crystal bowl was not etched but copper wheel engraved.

Bill Geary

Offline Glass Nisse

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:50:04 PM »
OK, here's my best attempt at an image. It's hard to see but the area between the "legs" is colorless.

Thanks for your interest.

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 06:00:04 AM »
I've got to admit.. I wouldn't have attributed this to Vicke Lindstrand.
Can you get a photo of the marking?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:01:29 AM »
You've probably seen this reference, but just in case you haven't: there's a little information about the giraffe available at http://www.modernistglass.com/glasspieces/view/2458  They have the production number as 97183. That, if my understanding is correct, would mean that the giraffe was designed in 1971, whereas your number would mean 1957, before Kosta started the five number system. I googled Lindstrand giraffe and came up with a reference to one with the number 95729 on it, so your number must be correct. The brown coating seems very unlike Lindstrand. I'd only put off washing it until someone who really knows his or her Kosta giraffes comes along.  

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 06:53:34 AM »
You've probably seen this reference, but just in case you haven't: there's a little information about the giraffe available at http://www.modernistglass.com/glasspieces/view/2458  They have the production number as 97183. That, if my understanding is correct, would mean that the giraffe was designed in 1971, whereas your number would mean 1957, before Kosta started the five number system. I googled Lindstrand giraffe and came up with a reference to one with the number 95729 on it, so your number must be correct. The brown coating seems very unlike Lindstrand. I'd only put off washing it until someone who really knows his or her Kosta giraffes comes along.  

David

Hello David, I know your reply was for Glass Nisse but I'd like to say thank you for the link. In all the books I have, these giraffes aren't mentioned so it is very interesting to see them and to learn more, once again thanks!  :)

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:44 PM »
In the last few weeks I've definitely seen another piece by Lindstrand Kosta - I think it was a cat (leopard ?) with the same brown colouring and spots (have searched but can't find it again). A friend has a 50 year theory - new bits get bought up, put on shelves, passed down the family and start reappearing in 50 years - keep your eyes open and you might be able to pick up a few more for the menagerie.

Gareth

Offline Glass Nisse

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:35:50 AM »

David,

Thanks for the link. I was familiar with that website but hadn't run across the Giraffe. The signature on the bottom is very similar to mine. Looking around, I found they have another which is the same size as mine:http://www.modernistglass.com/glasspieces/view/2787. With respect to washing, I already gave it a good cleaning to remove some adhesive from a price sticker without any apparent harm.

Best regards,

Glass Nisse

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand